Saturday, December 31, 2011

Could Have Been Top 10

I didn't get nearly as much reading done this year as I had hoped. I set my reading goal for 70 books, thinking I'd pass it, and I didn't even reach it. So in honor of my epic reading fail of a year, here are the 10 books I wish I'd read, or the Could Have Been Top 10 (in no particular order).

  • Lucinda's Secret - I had every intention to read this in November, I even re-read the first two in preparation. I just... never got around to it (which is the case with a lot of books on this list).
  • Solitary - I'm both eager and hesitant to read this. I loved the first one so much, I can't wait to find out what happens next, but I'm also a little afraid it won't be as good. But the main reason I didn't read it is because it was the last book on my 6 Degrees Reading Challenge list, and I couldn't read them out of order.
  • This Dark Endeavor - I really liked Airborn and Skybreaker, and was really looking forward to reading something different by Kenneth Oppel. My library has this, and I was going to check it out, but I don't make it to the library nearly as often as I should, and every time I planned to go, it was checked out. Maybe next year.
  • The Unwanteds - After missing a (somewhat) nearby Lisa McMann event, I went on a quest to get a signed copy of this book (okay, I went to the store when we were in that city for other reasons, but still). And yet, I still haven't read it (though I must admit, having so far been disappointed by another of her books, I'm a little hesitant to read it now).
  • Anna and the French Kiss - I don't think I've heard a bad thing about this. It sounds really good, and I waited a long time to get it. So why is it still in my TBR pile?
  • Scorpia Rising - I'll be honest. I'm kind of avoiding this one. I don't want the series to end! I'm not usually like this, but Alex Rider is one of the first YA series I ever read. I've been reading the series since I was 14. I'm not ready for it to be over.
  • The Serpent's Coil - Before Lockdown, The Daykeeper's Grimoire was my favorite book. It was really good, and I've been dying to know what happens next since I finished book one. It just never made it to the top of my TBR pile (partly because I never got around to re-reading TDG).
  • Prophecy of the Sisters - I had no interest in this when it first came out, but decided to read it after my sister said it was really good. I even bought my own copy, even though I could have borrowed it from her. A book club I help run on Shelfari even picked this one month. But I still didn't read it. This will be remedied in the coming year.
  • Hex Hall - Another one I really wanted to read, but never found the time for. I blame the library for this. Don't get me wrong, my library is great, it's mostly me. There are a lot of books on my TBR pile that my library has, a lot of them I've been waiting a long time to read. But I tend to go for books at home first, so library books often get forgotten.
  • Only the Good Spy Young - I don't even know why I haven't read this. I loved the first three Gallagher Girls books, and everything got more interesting in the third one. I almost read this a few times, but other things always got in the way.
Are there any books you regret not reading this year? Something that's just been sitting on your TBR pile for far too long. Have you read any of these, what did you think?

1 comment:

blackandwhitedreamer said...

I also meant to read Anna and the French Kiss. And I've been telling myself to read Beautiful Darkness ever since I saw it at the school library, since I liked Beautiful Creatures, but never really got around to it...