Saturday, December 31, 2011

Best of 2011

I've been wanting to do a list like this since I started blogging, but I never managed to write one at the right time. Well, I have a cold right now, and nothing better to do, so here's my list of Best Books I Read in 2011. I don't get a lot of new releases, so I'm just going to do books I read this year, not books that were released this year. Anyway, onto the list.



  1. Lockdown - This is, without a doubt, the best book I read this year. It doesn't even feel like I read it this year, it feels more like a book that I've loved for many years. It has definitely rooted itself on my favorites list, and it will take a lot to knock it from the #1 spot. You can see my review here.
  2. Gone - To be honest, I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did. I thought it would be good, at most, and it turned out to be fantastic. Hunger is definitely going to be one of the first things I read next year. See my review.
  3. The Girl in the Steel Corset - This one took me a really long time to read, and when I picked it up, I only read one or two chapters at a time. But that doesn't mean I didn't like it. It was really good! There were a few things I didn't like (I think it could have done with fewer descriptions of their clothes), but overall I really enjoyed it and look forward to the sequel.
  4. Firespell - This is another one that sounded really good, but my expectations for it weren't incredibly high. By the time I picked this up, I was burned out on paranormal and hadn't touched the genre for a couple months. It turned out to be one of the best YA paranormals I've read, and I wish I'd read it sooner. Here's my review.
  5. The Field Guide & The Seeing Stone - I'm just going to count these together. I'm not a fan of fairies. I used to think I liked them, but after various failed attempts to read fairy/faery books, I washed my hands of the genre. But not for long. I bought the first Spiderwick book on a whim, and fell in love with it. It's the best fairy series I've ever read, and just one of my favorite series overall. Plus the books are adorable! See my reviews for The Field Guide and The Seeing Stone.
  6. Sweet Venom - This is one of those strange books, where there were a lot of little things that annoyed me, but I loved it anyway. And after that ending, I can't wait to get my hands on Sweet Shadows!
  7. The Dark Hills Divide - It's been a while since I read a good adventure story (for the first time, anyway). This is just a really wonderful read, and Alexa is one of my new favorite characters.
  8. Temple of the Dragonslayer - I first read this when I was 12 or 13, and liked it. I finally got around to re-reading it this year, and loved it! There's nothing better than going back to an old favorite and finding that it's gotten better with time.
  9. Hawksong - I don't know exactly what I liked so much about this. All I know is, I could not put it down. It's been a long time since I read a book in one sitting, and I think this is the first time it's happened with a book I started after 1 a.m. While I can't pinpoint any specific thing I liked about Hawksong, it is the definition of 'unputdownable', so it definitely deserves a spot on this list.
What were your best reads of 2011? If you've read any of the books from my list, what did you think? If you haven't read them, I suggest you fix that soon.

1 comment:

YA Yeah Yeah said...

Great list! The Gone series is very cool - hope you enjoy Hunger. And thanks for reminding me to check out Sweet Venom, have been meaning to for AGES but keep forgetting.

My top 10 for 2011 is at YA Yeah Yeah if you'd like to take a look.