Friday, September 16, 2011

Review - The Seeing Stone by Holly Black & Tony DiTerlizzi


We said no
still you looked
now instead
someone gets cooked
WARNING: Review contains spoilers for book one.

I absolutely loved The Field Guide, and began a quest for the rest of the series as soon as I finished it. When I found The Seeing Stone in my hands, it shot straight to the top of my TBR pile. Well, almost the top. I had to finish something I'd already started and re-read the first book before I got to it. Not because I forgot what happened in the first book, but it was just so fabulous that I had to re-read it, even though I read it less than a month ago. In case I haven't gotten the point across clearly enough, The Field Guide is one of my new favorite books. The bar was set pretty high for The Seeing Stone, and it completely met my expectations, perhaps even surpassed them.

You don't really realize how little The Field Guide scraped the surface of the world of faeries until you read The Seeing Stone. There's more magic, more fey, more action. I wouldn't go so far as to say the book was better than the first, but it was really, really good. In the second book of The Spiderwick Chronicles, we're introduced to a variety of magical creatures: a brownie, goblins, and a troll, just to name a few. They were all interesting, and all came with interesting illustrations. I can't say I really liked any of them, but they definitely added something to the story. My one complaint would have to be the character introduced at the end of book one, Thimbletack. He was alright, I just didn't like that he spoke in rhymes. Yes, it was kind of neat that everything he said rhymed, but it also got a little annoying after a while. Readers within the target audience for this book (7 and up) would probably like this feature, though.

The Grace kids were just as fun to read about as they were in the first book. They are quickly becoming some of my absolute favorite characters, one of the reasons I rush to get my hands on the next book in the series (luckily, I already have the next book in the series).

This is a really fun, delightfully creepy, short read, easily devoured in one sitting. The illustrations are fantastic, the writing wonderful, and the story captivating. If you haven't read this series, I suggest you go find the first book. It may say 7 and up on the back, but this is definitely a series that can be enjoyed by anyone, no matter how old. Not to mention, the books are adorable, and would make an excellent addition to your shelves.

I give The Seeing Stone 4 octopi.


2 comments:

Higley. said...

I really like the books, didn't feel the film was as good though. Good thing I watched it after so it didn't spoil anything!

Adore your blog. :)

Ren @ All By Myshelf said...

I just finished the series last week, and haven't seen the movie. I don't know if I'll ever watch it. The books are just so good, I don't want to risk anything ruining them.

Thanks! =)