Saturday, July 30, 2011

Review - Tenth Grade Bleeds by Heather Brewer


Highlight to read.
It’s another sucky year at Bathory High for Vladimir Tod. The evil vampire D’Ablo is hunting for the ritual that could steal Vlad’s powers. His best friend Henry doesn’t want to be his drudge anymore. And as if all that weren’t enough, it’s getting harder for Vlad to resist feeding on the people around him. When months go by with no word from Uncle Otis and D’Ablo shows up demanding Vlad’s father’s journal, Vlad realizes that having a normal high school year is the least of his concerns. Vlad needs to act fast, and even his status as the Pravus won’t save him this time . . .
Once again, Heather Brewer has delivered a fantastic read that's left me eager to get my hands on the rest of the series.

If you read my review notes on this, you'd probably think I didn't like it. Heck, I was beginning to wonder if I'd rated it right when I read my notes. It seemed like the word "annoyed" kept popping up, mostly about characters. Actually, mostly about Henry. He just got on my nerves so much in this book! There were a few times Vlad got on my nerves too, but not nearly as much as Henry.
There was one character, though. He never annoyed me, he just Creeped. Me. Out. And I liked it. Wait, that sounded weird. Let me rephrase: his creepiness made him an excellent villain, and I love books with excellent villains.

But enough about characters. The story, oh the story! It was a little slow at times, but it more than made up for it with awesomesauce of the I-didn't-see-that-coming variety. The thing with *SPOILER*! And when Vlad found out *MEGASPOILER*!!! Yeah, it was great.

I did have one problem with the book. Vlad cried, a lot. It became something of a joke between me and my sisters, after we all read the first two books, so I decided to count how many times Vlad cried in this one. I counted 13 times, and I might have missed one or two, because I did have more important things to take notes on. So, if you don't like weepy characters, I suggest you try a different series.

I'm trying to think of more to say about this book, but I can't think of anything that won't give something away. I guess that's it, then? It was a really good book. A bit slow in places, but still really good. Heather Brewer is an excellent author, and I look forward to the next book in this series, as well her other books.

I give Tenth Grade Bleeds 4 octopi.

No comments: