Saturday, July 16, 2011

On My Shelf (21)

 Another week over, another week of bookish updates to post.

This is actually a bit of a catch up post. I kind of forgot I got this book a few weeks ago. Don't know how that happened, but I'm posting about it now, so it doesn't really matter.

Received from Friend

I got this from Orchid, who I think won it or something... I can't remember. The point is, I got it from Orchid. Thanks! I've read the first 3 books in this series, and I really liked all of them. The original cover of Midnight Predator always creeped me out a bit, which might be why I haven't read it yet. Anyway, I'm looking forward to re-reading the first three and reading the last one for the first time. Also, I like this cover. Looks nice (I also like the reprinted covers of the individual books, which you can see here, here, here, and here).

Whoa, this week it's writing news instead of reading news! That's different.

This week I've been working on a new sci-fi story, which I'm trying to get ready for Camp NaNo next month. This is a completely new project for me, not one from my long list of old ideas. It came to me in a dream... sort of. Okay, really just the premise, and the main character's jacket, which is closely related to her job. That's all I remember from the dream. Oh yeah, and it was awesome. Which is why, instead of thinking 'that was a great dream' and moving on, I decided to use it as a springboard for Camp NaNo and built a story around the few details I could remember. It was challenging, but I'm actually nearly done with prep work. I worked out the plot (not going to plan any subplots), named most of the characters, did a little world building. All I have left to do is name a bunch of locations and stuff, plus a few more characters. The naming is really hard, because it's sci-fi and based on another planet.

Anyway, the story has a title that abbreviates to TCW, which is what I'll be calling it online. I'm really hoping the writing will go smoothly, because I'm already going to be busy next month, and know of at least 5 days I won't be able to write. And if last year's NaNo is anything to go on, I'm going to need every day I can get. Guess I'll just have to increase my writing hours, carefully plan my daily word counts, and not stop until I've reached my daily goal. Let's hope I don't go insane next month, because looking at my plans, it's a strong possibility.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 premiered this week. Have you seen it? Did you go to the midnight premiere? What did you think? Wasn't it epic! Click here to see what I thought of the movie.

Today I'll be seeing Captain America: The First Avenger, so I should have another movie review up this Tuesday. I say this because movie reviews are hard to write, and if I say I'll post one, it means I actually have to post one, instead of putting it off so long I forget most of the movie, and am no longer able to review it.

In case you haven't heard, sign-ups are now open for the Read Dangerously Read-A-Thon next month. The read-a-thon will run August 11-13, you can participate as many days as you like, and all you have to do to sign up is write a short participation post between now and August 10 (technically, you don't even have to do that, because I did that for you). Plus, anyone that joins the read-a-thon will be entered to win $15 to The Book Depository. You can sign up here.

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

No comments: