Saturday, July 2, 2011

On My Shelf (19)

I was going to vlog today, but it just wasn't working. It was either too long, too bright, too many "ums", too quiet. You get the picture. So, instead of a vlog, here's the usual version of On My Shelf.

Covers link to Goodreads.

Bought

Took a trip to Books-A-Million this week. They usually have an okay selection of bargain YA books, but this time they had a GREAT selection. And at such good prices! I got three hardbacks for less than the usual price of one, which is really awesome, especially since I've been looking forward to them all for a while.

I tried D.J. MacHale's Pendragon series, but didn't really care for it (I didn't even finish the first book), but this one sounded really good, so I decided to give him another try.

I'm usually not a fan of really long books (this one is 543 pages!), but it sounded too good to resist. This one has been on my wish list for a long time, so I'm really excited to read it.

I read Lisa McMann's Wake, and while I wasn't crazy about it, I did like it. This one sounds even better, so I'm really glad I own it. I'm super excited about this one, because Lisa McMann will be touring near me in September for her new (and really awesome sounding) book, The Unwanteds. I really hope I can make it to the signing!

Borrowed

Got this from Orchid, who got it from the library.

I'm still reading The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross. I love it, but the long chapters make it kind of hard to find time to read it. Lately it seems like every time I pick it up, I get interrupted in the middle of a chapter, and I hate putting a book down in the middle of a chapter, so I haven't read it in a few days.

Last night I started Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood by Eileen Cook. This is the second time I've read it, so you know it must be good, because I'm not a big fan of re-reading things. I decided to re-read it partly because I never reviewed it, but also because it's on my challenge list for the 6 Degrees Reading Challenge (finally making progress!). I still like it, but Helen/Claire is a little more annoying this time around.

I'm also reading Hollow Fields by Madeleine Rosca. I'm only a few chapters in, but I like it. The artwork is nice, kind of cute, and the story is interesting. The only problem is that, since it's 3 volumes in 1, it's really thick which makes it kind of uncomfortable to read.

Camp NaNoWriMo has started, which means... nothing! I signed up for Camp NaNo the other day, not realizing it started yesterday, so I didn't have anything prepared to write. I have Black Light Castle, but I'm so stuck with that, so it's the worst choice for a 50,000 words in one month challenge. Luckily, there's going to be another Camp NaNo session in August, so I can try again then. I just need to come up with a story, because I have no idea what I'm going to write.

Today is very important. Today marks one month until my birthday. I'm really excited about it! But also a little stressed, because I don't really know what I'm going to do with my cake yet, and if you know me, you know my birthday cake is very important. I usually have some kind of plan by now, but I'm drawing a blank on what to with it, which is kind of stressful.
Today also marks one week until I see the premiere of Deathly Hallows part 2. I know what you're thinking. It doesn't premiere until July 15. I have not made a mistake in my calculations. As I'm pretty sure I've said before, one of the theaters I go to occasionally does free, early premieres of movies, and they're doing Deathly Hallows next Saturday. I'm both excited and sad, because the series is going to be over. At least I still have Pottermore to look forward to. :)

Speaking of Harry Potter, I'm going to be starting an HP marathon tonight with three of my offline buddies (@HauntedOrchid @Holland_22 @Zombie_Girrrl). We'll be watching one movie a night until the premiere, and tweeting about it under the hashtag #PotterThon #Pottermoviethon. Feel free to join in the viewing party, or just see what we have to say about the movies.

And lastly, tomorrow is the last day to vote for this week's Doppelgängers (you really have until Monday morning, because I don't tally votes until Monday afternoon). The competing covers are The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell, Dark Angel by Eden Maguire, and Forgiven by Janet Fox. You can vote in the comments here.

That's all for this week. I'll see you next week with more bookish updates. Happy reading! ^_^

7 comments:

Bookish Brunette said...

I've been wanting to read Cryer's Cross! I've had Nevermore forever... STILL haven't read it! LOL
The Bookish Brunette

Katyroo said...

I'm not much for scary books, but I read Morpheus Road: The Light last year and recommended it here (no spoilers, I promise!): http://www.abookandahug.com/component/content/article/44-suspense-thriller/20092-morpheusroadthelight

And the sequel is out, too!

**Katy
Recommending YA books beyond the bestsellers at http://BooksYALove.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter @BooksYALove

Misty said...

I agree with ↑, I want Cryer's Cross. And I've heard GREAT things about Nevermore, I really need to look into that one.

And have I ever told you how much I love your header? Prob. not, because I lurk rather than comment most of the time, but I love your header!

My IMM

The Book Angel said...

Great IMM this week! I heard some amazing things about Cryer's Cross recently so I added it to my list.

My IMM is here:
http://faybaysbooks.blogspot.com/

Alison said...

Happy almost birthday :-)
I've been wanting to read Nevermore for quite awhile.
My IMM

Under the Covers said...

Great books! I really want Cryers Cross, I can't wait to see your review for it!

My Mailbox

Suzanne @ Under the Covers

BrittLit said...

Great books this week. I'm anxious to see what you think of Nevermore, it sounds good, but oh boy is it long ;) Happy Reading!