Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wish List Wednesday 49

What?

The Time-Traveling Fashionista
by Bianca Turetsky
Pub. date: April 2011

When Louise Lambert receives a mysterious invitation to a traveling vintage fashion sale in the mail, her normal life in suburban Connecticut is magically transformed into a time traveling adventure.
After a brief encounter with two witchy salesladies and donning an evening gown that once belonged to a beautiful silent film star, Louise suddenly finds herself onboard a luxurious cruise ship in 1912. As Alice Baxter, the silent film star, Louise enjoys her access to an extensive closet of gorgeous vintage gowns and begins to get a feel for the challenges and the glamour of life during this decadent era. Until she realizes that she's not just on any ship-- she's on the Titanic!
Will Louise be able to save herself and change the course of history, or are she and her film star alter ego, destined to go down with a sinking ship in the most infamous sea disaster of the 20th century?
Why?

Obviously, what first caught my attention was the cover. It's. So. Pretty. But the cover isn't what got it on my wish list. It sounds like a really interesting read, but the thing that made me really want it is something that I didn't know about until I saw it at B&N. It's illustrated, and rather fabulously, too. A few years ago, illustrations would have meant nothing to me, and might have even turned me off of the book. But that was before I read Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld, illustrated by Keith Thompson. Now I love me a good book with (a few) good pictures, and I have a feeling I'm going to love this.
And that's why it's on my wish list.

1 comment:

Orchid said...

Nice choice! I too love me a book with illustrations in it. :)

Orchid
The Haunting of Orchid Forsythia