Friday, June 17, 2011

Review - Out of Sight, Out of Mind by Marilyn Kaye

Queen of Mean Amanda Beeson, 13, gets the shock of her life when she wakes up one morning to find herself in the body of one of her victims, Tracey Devon. Amanda discovers that Tracey, ignored at home and school, has the ability to become invisible. When Amanda finds herself in a special class that Tracey usually attends, it becomes clear that at Meadowbrook Middle School the definition of “gifted” has a whole other meaning. Can Amanda rescue her one-time target from obscurity and get her own life back on track? In order to do so, she will have to reveal her own startling gift and take her rightful place among Meadowbrook’s very secret clique.
I'm usually a big fan of anything with super powers, and this book had powers, it was just wasn't very super.

I'm not going to sugarcoat anything here. This book was boring. It was a little interesting at first, but it quickly settled into a pattern of events that weren't even eventful. I'd summarize this pattern, to show you what I mean, but that might spoil something... not that there's much to be spoiled. Though I will say, it picked up for a while at chapter 12.

This book was all lead up. Lead up to someone discovering Amanda-Tracey's secret, lead up to Amanda discovering Tracey's secret, lead up to finding out what a certain suspicious someone was up to, and finally lead up to the sequel. And that was it. It's not the first time I've read a first-in-a-series that was just setting up for the second book, but usually there's some sense of satisfaction when you finally see what everything was leading up to, but this book just left me feeling disappointed. It was all very anticlimactic.

Along with being anticlimactic, it was also very cliched. Now, most of the time I can let a few cliches slide. I mean, everyone is bound to fall back on the ol' tried and true every now and then. But when every character is a cliche, and it's not even subtle, that's when I get annoyed. With all the lead up for everything else, you'd think the characters and their lives would take a little time to learn about, but everything was just thrown out there at the first chance, and in some cases, every chance after that.

Despite all those issues with the book, it wasn't all bad. Amanda grew (a little bit) by the end, and helped one of her classmates improve her incredibly sad life. Amanda also developed an unlikely friendship that was amusing to read.

While it wasn't one of the best beginnings to a series, Out of Sight, Out of Mind has piqued my curiosity enough that I want to pick up the next book, if only to see if it's better than the first. After all, this was all leading up to something.

I give Out of Sight, Out of Mind 3 octopuses.

This book is rated PG-13.


1 comment:

Orchid said...

Awe, sounds like you read the frustrating lead up book. Not sure if I'll be giving it a shot, I can take the second book being a bridger, but if the first ones just...well like this one it just doesn't work for me. =)