Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Read-A-Thon, Anyone?

I have a big event coming up in August, that will run from July 31 to August 19. the main part of the event will take place in the first few days, and I was thinking, why not add something in the middle? And that's when it hit me: a read-a-thon.

I recently participated in two read-a-thons, one hosted by Michelle at The True Book Addict and the other hosted by Enna Isilee at Squeaky Books. Both were a lot of fun, and changed my negative opinion on read-a-thons (I usually don't get any reading done, but these two were different). All this got me thinking, it might be fun to host a read-a-thon, but before I make a decision, I wanted your opinion.

My questions
  1. Would anyone be interested in participating in a read-a-thon?
  2. What do you think of the read-a-thon running August 12-14 (Fri.-Sun.)? Just a note: this is really the only date available, unless I extend the entire event.
  3. Would anyone be interested in hosting a mini-challenge or donating prizes? If you are, please fill out my contact form
  4. If you've hosted a read-a-thon before, do you have any tips or suggestions?

2 comments:

Orchid said...

Yes! You should so host a readathon (I love them so much).
I think the 12-14 sounds like a good time to shave it, and I would definitely be interested in host a mini-challenge/donating a book for said readathon.

Looking forward to the big shindig you have planned. :)

Orchid
The Haunting of Orchid Forsythia

Michelle @ The True Book Addict said...

You know I'm always game for a read-a-thon! (Don't forget, my summer read-a-thon is the last week in July...sign up coming soon) Those dates work for me and thanks for the 3 day thing. I prefer longer read-a-thons.

My advice: keep things simple. Do one giveaway for all participants who sign in and wrap up. Either host this yourself or try to get a prize donation. If you host a mini-challenge, try to make it something easy that will not take too much time away from the reading. And don't require frequent updates. I do not require updates in mine. People can update at their leisure. I only require a sign in post and a wrap up post. Ordinarily, I would offer to host a mini-challenge, but I'm so broke right now, I can't offer a prize. Can barely afford to mail out books. I STILL haven't mailed out the books from my last giveaway. *hangs head in shame*

Anyway, I hope my advice was helpful and I look forward to the read-a-thon and your event. =O)