Saturday, June 11, 2011

On MySHELF (16)

On MySHELF highlights books I've acquired and read in the past week, as well as a little about what I'm writing, and other blog worthy news. I think it's pretty obvious where I got my inspiration for the feature from, but I will follow blog etiquette and link to Kristi (In My Mailbox @ The Story Siren), Sheila (It's Monday, What Are You Reading? @ Book Journey), and Kate (The Shelf Report @ The Neverending Shelf) anyway. ;)

No new books this week, but I have some other stuff I wanted to post about, so I'm breaking my "only do an On MySHELF when I get new books" rule.
This week I started The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross. Right now I'm 42% done, and It. Is. Awesome. The writing's really good, the characters are interesting, and the whole thing is just incredibly good. I would be farther along in it, if it weren't for the really long chapters. I've never been a fan of books with super long chapters, it makes me feel like I'm not making any progress, and also messes with my note taking sometimes, because I have to flip back through the chapter just to remember everything that happened in it. Despite the long chapters, I still really like it. If you can get your hands on this book, I suggest you do.

In my last writing update, I said I had finished preparations for Black Light Castle and was ready to start writing. I was wrong. I was all ready to start, had all my stuff together, then I thought of a bunch of things I'd forgotten to do. Actually, I'd never even thought to do them before. Not too much of a setback, though. I managed to finish most of the things the same day I thought of them, and only have one small world-building thing left to do. Can you believe I named 25 characters in one day? It usually takes me forever to name characters, especially that many. But I kind of cheated, so it's not some major accomplishment. I got a little stuck with some of the names (the same ones kept jumping out at me in my name book), so I Googled "random baby name picker" and found an excellent tool on Name Nerds. If you need help naming side characters, you should check out this site. It's great.

Hopefully I'll actually be able to start writing this week.

In case you missed it, I stepped out of my blogging box and wrote a discussion post this week. This might be a new semi-regular feature, depending on whether I can come up with discussion topics. What do you think of a form to suggest topics, and randomly picking one every now and then? Would anyone be interested in suggesting topics? Anyway, the very first Think About It post was on contemporary YA books. You can check it out here.

Today one of my Shelfari friends posted a link to a Tumblr blog called Bookfessions. If you haven't been there, you should really go visit, like, now. I read all 640 bookfessions, and saved quite a few. Here are some of my favorites.

 

 
 











Check out Bookfessions, and tell me which one(s) you can relate to.

That's all for this week. Hopefully I'll have some new books to post about next week.
Happy reading!

2 comments:

My anxious life said...

Thank you for posting Bookfessions! I love it and am going to share the link!

Angie

XOXO Angela's Anxious Life

Orchid said...

Girl in the Steel Corset sounds really good, I may just have to read it one day. =)

Orchid
The Haunting of Orchid Forsythia