Saturday, June 4, 2011

On My Shelf (15)

On My Shelf highlights books I've acquired and read in the past week, as well as a little about what I'm writing, and other blog worthy news. I think it's pretty obvious where I got my inspiration for the feature from, but I will follow blog etiquette and link to Kristi (In My Mailbox @ The Story Siren), Sheila (It's Monday, What Are You Reading? @ Book Journey), and Kate (The Shelf Report @ The Neverending Shelf) anyway. ;)


Bought


















Had a very successful trip to the used bookstore. Most people probably wouldn't call two books very successful, but considering I rarely find anything at the used bookstore, this is practically a miracle. Both of these have been on my wish list for a while, and I can't wait to read them.


Oh my good golly, it's a new release! I feel like I haven't gotten one of these in forever. I've been hearing a lot of buzz about this book lately, and I couldn't resist it any longer. It's so pretty! It also sounds good and has an interesting first chapter (which is sadly all I can read until I finish what I'm already reading). I can't wait to read this! It sounds so good! And I love the size, all short and thick. It's cute. :)

I didn't have any time to read this week, until yesterday, anyway. I was only hoping to make a little progress in Out of Sight, Out of Mind by Marilyn Kaye, but I ended up staying up into the wee hours and finishing it. It was... a little disappointing, but not as bad a few hours after reading it. It was definitely a set-up book, so I'll be on the lookout for the sequel, but if it's a repeat of the first one, I'll be done with the series. Full review to come (sometime).

I don't know how I found time to do it, since I was unusually busy this week, but I managed to outline the end of my current writing project/WIP/whatever you want to call it. I call it Black Light Castle. But that's not the point. The point is... the end has been outlined, I know more details about the world than I could possibly fit in the book (which is good), which has me wondering... am I ready to start writing? Me thinks yes, but after all the books I've started that crashed and burned against that dreaded thing known as writer's block, I'm a little nervous about starting another one. It doesn't help that I have higher hopes for this than I've had for any other book ever, which makes the thought of failing all the more bitter.

But enough drama. I decided to write this book months ago, and I'm going to WRITE IT! And soon, before another idea catches my attention and... POST-APOCALYPTIC ROBOT DICTATOR!

...
O_O    >_<    O_O
...

Whoa, what happened? What was I talking about?

Um... onto news! ;D

In other news, it's June! Hurray? Yeah. Hurray! Does this mean I'm going to get back to full time blogging soon? I sure hope so! Does that mean I've gotten a lot done from my blog vacation to-do list? No! Wait, that's a bad thing, why am I using exclamation points like it's exciting?
Anyway, I've been strangely busy lately, which has severely cut into my blogging time, so I haven't really written any posts... like, at all. But I will! For the rest of the month I will eat (food), sleep (at night), and breath (air)... um, while blogging. I may not sound very dedicated, but I assure you I am. I love blogging and can't wait to get back to it, which means there's a lot of post writing in my near future.
EDIT: The above doesn't really apply anymore. I wrote that mid-week, and yesterday did some mad post-writing, and managed to get 11 drafts written up. Yay me! Sadly, of those 11 posts, I haven't written a single (good) review. I think I need to change something about my reviews. Not a new format, I tried that and it didn't work, just a new focus. I don't know, I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes (next week or on twitter).
In case you missed it, Enna Isilee of Squeaky Books is hosting a read-a-thon on the 17 & 18, and I signed up! Learn more about the read-a-thon in my participation post, or sign up here (be sure to say Ren (All By MySHELF) sent you).

I believe that's all for this week. I have posts to write, a book to write, probably something else to write, and stuff to read, too. See you next week, or whenever.

8 comments:

Alison said...

Great set! Gamer Girl looks especially interesting.
It's definitely hard to write reviews. I'm way behind and just end up forcing myself to write them. Some of them turn out better than others.
My IMM

Reading Angel said...

Oh My Goth was pretty cute. I need to get myself a copy of Steel Corset! Great week!

YA Book Queen said...

I heard Gamer Girl is supposed to be great, same with TGITSC :D

Hope you enjoy them all!

Orchid said...

You'll let me borrow Gamer Girl, right?
Great haul this week, am very jealous that you got Girl in the Steel Corset.

Finished outlining a project, huzzah!

Good luck with getting back into the swing of things on your blog. :)

Orchid
The Haunting of Orchid Forsythia

April (BooksandWine) said...

Gamer Girl looks good, I like the manga-looking cover.

Also yayyyy for The Girl In The Steel Corset. Hope you enjoy reading it!

Candace said...

I haven't seen the final copy of The Girl in the Steel Corset yet, but I sure loved the e-arc I read!

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I hear great things about The Girl in the Steel Corset. I so need to try that! Enjoy your new books! :)

Brooke said...

AH! i really, really, REALLY want to read The Girl in the Steel Corset! You'll have to let me know if it's any good!!!