Monday, April 18, 2011

What Do You Recommend? (YA Mysteries)

I need recommendations on books, and who better to ask then the YA blogosphere? This may or may not become a semi-regular feature, depending on whether I need help finding new books again.

Anyway, right now I'm really interested in mysteries. I used to avoid the genre like the plague, but now I'm really craving a good YA mystery. Here are some more details on what I'm looking for:
  • Young adult or mid-grade, unless you know a really clean* adult mystery.
  • Little or no supernatural themes, I'm a little burnt out on that genre.
  • Maybe a bit historical. I really like books based in the early/mid 1900s.
  • *Clean reads, i.e. no sexual content. Violence and mild language, I can handle, but sexual content is a deal breaker.
Now that you know what I'm looking for (just a note: while I'd prefer things that go with what I listed, I'm open to anything as long it's clean), I'd like to know...

What do you recommend?

Feel free to link to a review, if you have one.



3 comments:

Marce said...

I definitely recommend Michelle Zink's series - Prophecy of the Sisters, Guardian of the Gate and the next one comes out in August.

I love the series so far, especially book 1.

http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2010/04/review-blog-tour-for-prophecy-sisters.html

Also, if you enjoy Verse Novels - read Lisa Schroeders, I heart you, You haunt me or any of hers really.

Have fun choosing.

Rebecca said...

Where to begin lol. Mysteries are my favourite.
The Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard is somewhat of a mystery as is her book The Lying Game.
The Liar Society by Lisa and Laura Roecker
Clarity by Kim Harrington (does have a supernatural element in that she is a psychic apart from that there's no other supernatural stuff)
You Killed Wesley Payne by Sean Beaudoin
Darkwater by Georgia Blain
Kiss Me Kill Me by Lauren Henderson
Wherever Nina Lies by Lynn Weingarten
Face of Betrayal by Lis Wiehl with April Henry (Is an adult title but is very clean in that it has no sexual content)
Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head so hopefully that helps :)

Orchid said...

Let's see, I ahve a couple of ideas that fit your criteria.

Model Spy by Shannon Greenland (its clean and has teenage spies).
Liar Society by Lisa and Laura Roecker (after I read it that is).
They Never Came Back by Caroline B. Cooney (so good)
Nightmare by Joan Lowery Nixon (another great read).

I could probably go on and on.