Saturday, February 19, 2011

On My Shelf (4)

On My Shelf highlights books I've acquired and read in the past week, as well as a little about what I'm writing, and other blog worthy news. I think it's pretty obvious where I got my inspiration for the feature from, but I will follow blog etiquette and link to Kristi (In My Mailbox @ The Story Siren), Sheila (It's Monday, What Are You Reading? @ Book Journey), and Kate (The Shelf Report @ The Neverending Shelf) anyway. ;)

Bought

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
Pub. date: October 2010
Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything— including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?
Picked this up on a road trip I went on earlier this week. I can't wait to get it signed at the Breathless Reads event!

The Alchemyst by Michael Scott
Pub. date: June 2008

He holds the secret that can end the world.

The truth: Nicholas Flamel was born in Paris on September 28, 1330. Nearly 700 years later, he is acknowledged as the greatest Alchemyst of his day. It is said that he discovered the secret of eternal life.

The records show that he died in 1418.

But his tomb is empty.

The legend: Nicholas Flamel lives. But only because he has been making the elixir of life for centuries. The secret of eternal life is hidden within the book he protects—the Book of Abraham the Mage. It's the most powerful book that has ever existed. In the wrong hands, it will destroy the world. That's exactly what Dr. John Dee plans to do when he steals it. Humankind won't know what's happening until it's too late. And if the prophecy is right, Sophie and Josh Newman are the only ones with the power to save the world as we know it.

Sometimes legends are true.

And Sophie and Josh Newman are about to find themselves in the middle of the greatest legend of all time.
I bought this from the Random Buzzers store a while ago, and it finally came in this week. It sounds interesting, I just wonder when I'll have time to read it.

Adopted

You Are So Undead to Me by Stacey Jay
Pub. date: March 2009

Fifteen-year-old Megan Berry is a Zombie Settler by birth, which means she's part-time shrink to a bunch of dead people with a whole lot of issues.

All Megan wants is to be normal and go to homecoming, of course. Unfortunately, it's a little difficult when your dates keep getting interrupted by a bunch of slobbering Undead.

Things are about to get even more complicated for Megan. Someone in school is using black magic to turn average, angsty Undead into flesh-eating Zombies, and it's looking like homecoming will turn out to be a very different kind of party the bloody kind.

Megan must stop the Zombie apocalypse descending on Carol, Arkansas. Her life and more importantly, homecoming depends on it.
I got this from Zombie Girrrl when she was cleaning out her shelves. Not her cup of tea + I think it sounds interesting = new book for me! Thanks, ZG!

The Bad Beginning, The Reptile Room, and The Wide Window by Lemony Snicket
Pub. dates: September 1999, September 1999, and February 2000
These also came from Zombie Girrrl. I've already read two of them and really enjoyed them. I can't wait to read the third one! Once again, thanks ZG! ^_^

Borrowed

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller
Pub. date: August 2010

Haven Moore can't control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan, and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother's house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was.
In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves¸ before all is lost and the cycle begins again.
I completely forgot to add this before I originally posted this! I don't know how that happened, especially since I started reading it the day I wrote this post. Anyway, I got this from the library so I could read it before the signing. Not sure I'll be able to finish it by then, but I figure it would be better to at least read some of it before then.

I finally finished Lockdown by Alexander Gordon Smith this week. New. Favorite. Book. I loved it! I should have a review up soon (whoa, look out! I haven't had a review in forever, but I'm working on fixing that).

I also read Fruits Basket vol. 16 by Natsuki Takaya. I really like this series! Definitely one of my favorite mangas. I'm really looking forward to reading vol. 17.

As stated above, I started The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller. I'm about 130 pages in and so far it's pretty good. It started out kind of slow, but picked up after about 100 pages. It's a nice, light read that's easy to get sucked into, if not a little weird at times.

Not much going on on the writing front. I finally dug out all my old notes on Baker's Dozen and went through them, seeing what would still work and what wouldn't. There was a lot that wouldn't. Like over half of the character relationships, the entire synopsis, some family situations... Anyway, pretty boring stuff.
Aside from sorting through notes, I started working on the characters' profiles. Correction, I made files for all of the main characters (and there are a lot of them, just look at the title), but only actually worked on the MC. I'll probably get to the others sometime next week.

On a slightly different note (though relating to the same project), I have finally decided to give my characters middle names! This is something that, for some unknown reason, I've never done before. I don't know what possessed me to give the BD cast middle names, when none of my other characters have one, but I'm not hating the process. It's a little hard to find things that go with the first and last names I've already picked, but it's fun.

I'd like to thank everyone that RSVP'd for the Breathless Books signing next Friday (I can't believe it's almost here!), and everyone that helped spread the word! If you're going, you can still RSVP here and vote on what we're going to do here. I'm even more excited about the signing now (didn't think that was possible last week) with so many other bloggers coming. It's going to be awesome!

And that concludes this recap of my book and blogging week. Happy reading!


4 comments:

YA Book Queen said...

Awesome books! I loved Nightshade (have fun at the event!) and the rest look great too :)

Happy reading!

Julie Anne Lindsey said...

I just finished Nightshade and I loved it. You are So Undead to Me is making me laugh. I'll definitely be getting that one now LOL. Fun that you're a writer! Me too!! You can find my IMM here if you'd like ;) http://blog.juliealindsey.com/

kirsty at the overflowing library said...

some fab books there - i love nightshade!!

I am a new follower

Orchid said...

Ooh, looks like you adopted some great titles (lucky). Happy reading. ^_^