Sunday, February 13, 2011

On My Shelf (3)

On My Shelf highlights books I've acquired and read in the past week, as well as a little about what I'm writing, and other blog worthy news. I think it's pretty obvious where I got my inspiration for the feature from, but I will follow blog etiquette and link to Kristi (In My Mailbox @ The Story Siren), Sheila (It's Monday, What Are You Reading? @ Book Journey), and Kate (The Shelf Report @ The Neverending Shelf) anyway. ;)

Review

Hex, A Witch and Angel Tale by Ramona Wray
Pub. date: February 2011

Like most girls at Rosemound High School, seventeen-year-old Lily Crane is acutely aware of Ryder Kingscott. Hands down the cutest guy in school, Ryder is cool, mysterious, and utterly untouchable…especially for Lily. For when she touches someone, Lily instantly learns all about their lives. And while such a skill might seem nifty, in truth it is wrecking Lily’s life. So she is shocked when Ryder asks her out—and even more shocked to discover he has a rival. Lucian Bell is the gorgeous new kid who can’t take his eyes off of Lily. Being pursued by two hotties should make a girl happy, but Lily is skeptical. The boys act as if they’ve met before, hating each other with a passion that could only be rooted in a dark, dangerous past. A past full of terrible secrets. The kind of secrets that could get a girl killed.
Big thanks to Ramona Wray for this one! I can't wait to read it! I love the cover, it's so cute! ^_^

I spent a good chunk of the week playing Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, so I didn't get much reading done until I finished the game. Darn that super fun game I love, taking up all my reading time!
Anyway, once I was able to put the game down, I read Fall in Love Like a Comic vol. 1 by Chitose Yagami. This is the sixth manga I've read this year, which means... I've completed the 2011 Manga Reading Challenge! Huzzah! *throws confetti* This manga was okay. It's supposed to be a series, but I can really stop at this one and never wonder what else happens.

I also read xxxHolic vol. 1 by CLAMP. I read Tsubasa a little while ago, which ties into the first volume of xxxHolic (barely), and I gotta say, I think I liked this one more. There was just too much going on in Tsubasa, and I kind of felt like it started in the middle of the story (but it was still good). I'll definitely be looking for the other volumes of both at my library.

This week I FINALLY managed to back to reading Lockdown for the first time since I got a cold (which, by the way, is finally gone. Yay!) a little while ago. It's really good, completely terrifying, but really good. I just wish I didn't have to worry about the characters so much. It's tiring!

In addition to working on a series about super heroes, I have decided to officially maintain a backburner project. It's a standalone story of the humor variety, that can be found on the My Books page under Baker's Dozen. I've kind of been working on it on and off for years now, mostly writing down funny scenarios for it when I thought of them out of the blue, but I thought, if I'm going to be working on this all the time, why not do something a little more productive than just writing down jokes every now and then? So, Baker's Dozen is now my backburner project. I'm really excited to work on it more! I love the characters (and I haven't even worked on them much... on paper), they're probably some of my all time favorites of the ones I've thought of.

For the next few days you can submit a question that could be featured in my upcoming interview with Ramona Wray! Just head over to this post and fill out the form. After the deadline (Feb. 15), I'll randomly select up to three questions to be added to the interview, which will be posted next month.

Don't forget to RSVP if you're going to be at the Breathless Reads Tour stop in Raleigh on February 25. Not only will you get to meet authors Kirsten Miller, Ally Condie, Beth Revis, Andrea Cremer, and Brenna Yovanoff, but if you sign up for BBIT you'll get to meet fellow bloggers as well! Learn more here. Hurry! There's only a little time left to RSVP and submit your idea(s) for the Book Blogger Identification Thing before we vote on what we're going to do! (You'll still be able to vote and all, your idea(s) just won't be on the poll.)

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

2 comments:

Alison said...

Great book - Hex sounds super interesting. What do you think of Tsubasa? I'm finishing up Fruits Basket right now.
New follower!
My IMM

Orchid said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed my Ace Attorney game.
Hex sounds really interesting, I'll have to "borrow" it from you.
Yay, so happy that your colds finally gone. ^_^