Saturday, February 5, 2011

On My Shelf (2)

On My Shelf highlights books I've acquired and read in the past week, as well as a little about what I'm writing, and other blog worthy news. I think it's pretty obvious where I got my inspiration for the feature from, but I will follow blog etiquette and link to Kristi (In My Mailbox @ The Story Siren), Sheila (It's Monday, What Are You Reading? @ Book Journey), and Kate (The Shelf Report @ The Neverending Shelf) anyway. ;)

Won

The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher
Pub. date: January 2011

Welcome to a future where water is more precious than gold or oil-and worth killing for
Vera and her brother, Will, live in the shadow of the Great Panic, in a country that has collapsed from environmental catastrophe. Water is hoarded by governments, rivers are dammed, and clouds are sucked from the sky. But then Vera befriends Kai, who seems to have limitless access to fresh water. When Kai suddenly disappears, Vera and Will set off on a dangerous journey in search of him-pursued by pirates, a paramilitary group, and greedy corporations. Timely and eerily familiar, acclaimed author Cameron Stracher makes a stunning YA debut that's impossible to forget.
I won this from Karen at For What It's Worth, as part of her You Pick the Book giveaway for January (she's doing another one this month, you should go check it out). Thanks so much, Karen! I've been eying this book for a while now, and I'm so happy I finally have it! Can't wait to read it! ^_^

Due to a cold, I didn't get much reading done this week. I would love to read when I'm sick, because I have loads of time on my hands, but when suffering from a cold I'm either sleeping/half asleep or have a headache, so all I end up doing is watching movies and napping. Though, thinking this time might be different, I started rereading Kiki Strike: Inside the Shadow City by Kirsten Miller, but I only managed to get through one chapter. I'll definitely be getting back to that soon, but will probably focus my attention on finishing the other two books I'm reading first.

As I mentioned above, I've had a cold pretty much all week, which got in the way of publishing all the posts I had prepared. Thankfully, I'm feeling much better now, so I'll be able to get back to blogging and reading.

The Breathless Reads Tour starts this month, and I'm going to be attending one of the events! I'm really excited about this, not only because it has a great line-up of authors, but because ZG, Orchid, and I are trying to set up a Book Blogger Identification Thing, so we can meet some of our fellow bloggers. If you plan to be at the Raleigh stop for this tour on 2/25, please go to this post and fill out the RSVP form. If you're going to be at another tour stop, feel free to check out the post anyway, and maybe organize a BBIT for your area.
__________________

That's all for me this week. Just as I hoped, this post wasn't as massively long as last week's. Yay! ^_^

4 comments:

Natalie (Mindful Musings) said...

I'm interested to see what you think of The Water Wars. I have a copy on my TBR shelf as well!

Have a great week!

Jess Day said...

Get well soon!

proseandkahn said...

Hey! Found your blog @ The Story Siren. Great name! I almost picked up Water Wars yesterday, when I was at the book store. Again. But I already had a stack of 8 books and my book buying is getting out of hand. Sigh.

I'm looking forward to reading what you thought of it.

brenda

Orchid said...

Water Wars sounds interesting...maybe I'll borrow it from you after you get a chance to read it. ^_^