Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cover For Me 5

Cover For Me is all about book covers and what I think of them. Sometimes it will just be one cover, sometimes it will be different covers for the same book.

This week's cover is...

Heist Society by Ally Carter

US cover
The font is good, and I like the minimal color scheme. I think the model fits Kat really well. I like the reflection in the sunglasses, the one missing painting is perfect for the book. While it's not my favorite cover ever, it doesn't turn me off the book, though the title and author are much bigger factors for picking it up.
This cover is... for me.

Australian cover
I don't remember exactly what Kat's cousin Gabrielle looked like, but I feel like they picked a model more for her than the main character. While the model comes across as a bit awkward and not at all thief-like (black jacket and hat do not equal thief), I like the positioning in front of the painting and the black background. I do not like the laser line things. They look kind of cheesy, and make me think of the movie Entrapment, which I really don't like. I do however like the title font. With a different title and author, I would probably pass this book up.
This cover is... not for me.

Really, though, I think I'd like the cover a lot more if it was the model from the US cover in the setting of the Australian cover without the lazer lines and bad thief clothes. Thoughts?

4 comments:

Zombie Girrrl said...

I don't really like eihter of them. like, at all. Generally I don't like Carter's covers. They're just too perfected, you know? Like, there's nothing artistic about them at all.

Julia King said...

I like the US cover the most. I have not read the book yet, however, the cover does appeal to my taste. It makes me want to read the book. The Australian cover would not make me want to read it. Would you suggest it being on my list of books to read this year?

Jess Day said...

I'm a definate fan of the US cover. It's more simplistic. I don't mind the other cover...but it's kinda cheesy-looking.

Orchid said...

If the second cover had been the one released over here, I in all likelihood wouldn't have bothered to pick it up. Although I do really like the US cover. ^_^