Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cover For Me 3

Cover For Me is all about book covers and what I think of them. Sometimes it will just be one cover, sometimes it will be different covers for the same book.

This week's cover is...

Candor by Pam Bachorz

(hardback)
I like the simple color scheme. The orange and white/grey is a nice contrast. The images are really good too, the little houses are cute, yet kind of creepy with how plain and identical they are. The one orange house is a nice touch. The cropping is really good, I especially like how the model's mouth isn't showing. I don't know why, but I really like when the lower half of faces are cropped off. I like the graffiti style font on the title, which really fits the book (if I remember correctly), and that the title is much bigger than the author's name. There's nothing I hate more than when the author's name takes up half the cover and the title is all teeny tiny.
This cover is... for me.

(paperback)
What happened here? How do you go from the awesome cover of the hardback to... this? First, bad cropping. I liked it so much more when only part of the model's face showed. The font on this one is so plain, and just kind of slapped on where it didn't cover anything. While the picket fence works, I think it's a little boring. And what's with the orange eye?! It makes it seem like some kind of supernatural thing, maybe about werewolves or demons, which is most definitely not what it's about.
This cover is... not for me.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow, you are so right! The changes they made on the paperback are just bizarre!

Orchid said...

Your're right the hardback covers is way better then the paperback. It makes you wonder, what on earth were they thinking when they made the paperback version. ^_^