Saturday, January 29, 2011

On My Shelf (1)

On My Shelf highlights books I've acquired and read in the past week, as well as a little about what I'm writing, and other blog worthy news. I think it's pretty obvious where I got my inspiration for the feature from, but I will follow blog etiquette and link to Kristi (In My Mailbox @ The Story Siren), Sheila (It's Monday, What Are You Reading? @ Book Journey), and Kate (The Shelf Report @ The Neverending Shelf) anyway. ;)

Brace yourselves, it's a long one. 0.0

Borrowed

Leviathan audio book by Scott Westerfeld, read by Alan Cumming
Pub. date: October 2009

Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men.

Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.

With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever
I LOVED Leviathan, and was really interested in the audio book after listening to the sample on Scott Westerfeld's site. I was so happy when I found out my library had it!
Won

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
Pub. date: March 2010


Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.
Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.
Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.
 I won this from Mrs. DeRaps at DeRaps Reads. Thanks so much! I've been wanting to read this for a while, and have had the poster hanging on my wall for... many months (I'm not exactly sure how long). I can't wait to read it! It sounds so good! ^_^

Trade

Firelight by Sophie Jordan
Pub. date: September 2010
A hidden truth.
Mortal enemies.
Doomed love.

Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.
Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.
Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.
Traded this with Orchid for my copy of Kissed by an Angel (because she really likes the author, and had an extra copy of this). It sounds really good! I can't wait to read it! Thanks for the trade, Orchid! ^_^


This week I started Lockdown (Escape From Furnace #1) by Alexander Gordon Smith. It's really good so far, but also incredibly stressful! I'm always afraid someone is going to die! But I love it anyway.
I'm still working on rereading Stormbreaker (Alex Rider #1) by Anthony Horowitz. I like it, but I find the chapters to be kind of long, and don't often have the patience for them. I never feel like I make any progress with long-chaptered books, and sometimes that effects my desire to read said book. But mostly, I just haven't felt like I had enough time for it this week.

I decided to venture back into the world of audio books with Leviathan (mentioned above). I must say, I like it a lot more than the first audio book I tried! Alan Cumming does an excellent job of bringing the world of Leviathan to life. My only complaints are Deryn's and Dr. Barlow's voices. They don't sound at all how I imagined them to. I never really had a clear idea of what Deryn sounded like, but it was different from Cumming's interpretation (not to say his interpretation is bad). Dr. Barlow on the other hand, has always sounded like Captain Amelia (Emma Thompson) from Treasure Planet. Other than that, the audio book is excellent!

I've recently jumped back into an old project I put aside years ago. As always, I can't say much about it, but I will say this: it's about superheroes, was originally intended to be a comic book or graphic novel, and is affectionately titled PR online. It wasn't until last year, after reading Dull Boy, that I decided to write it as a book instead. I'm really excited about this project! I've always liked the characters and the story, but with my drawing abilities being less than fantastic (i.e. quite bad), I kind of thought it was never really going to happen.
Anyway, right now I'm in the process of working on characters. I'm happy to say character relationships have all been worked out are almost done (I kind of forgot about some characters when I did that Dx), and will just need some deeper detail later on (but that will come after personalities and backgrounds). I've been trying to keep my focus on the main characters, but keep getting distracted by side characters. But they need attention too, so I guess a little distraction is okay as long as I remember to work on the main characters sometime.
Once the characters are done, I'll probably move on to world building. I don't think I've ever put much into world building (the reason all my other books failed, perhaps?), so I'm not really looking forward to it. But I have a pretty good idea of the world already, so maybe it won't be so bad. *fingers crossed*

A couple months ago I started work on an About page, but got completely stuck on what to write and put it aside. Well, I've finally forced myself to get back to working on it. It. Is. NOT. Fun. I've written a few drafts, and hated just about all of them. I recently managed to write a draft I like... but it only covers the blog, and says nothing about me. I don't really want to write about myself, and I find it incredibly hard, but I feel like there should be something about me on the About page!
*sigh* Hopefully I'll be able to come up with something decent and brief to say about myself. When I do, this blog with finally have an About page. Huzzah!

There's a new page on the blog, and I'd very much like you to see it. For a while now (a year, maybe? Longer?) I've had a shop on Zazzle, and I used to have a page for it on my blog. But I stopped working on the shop a long time ago, and the page was taken down one of the times I changed my layout. Well, the Shop page is back! And maybe better than ever, but I'll leave that up to you.
You can check out the Shop page here, or click the tab at the top of the blog.

That's all for this week. Hopefully this post won't be so incredibly long next week. ;)

11 comments:

Mrs. DeRaps said...

I loved The Body Finder (still need to write a review!) and Firelight...Hope you enjoy!

Zombie Girrrl said...

The voices on the Leviathon audio book are really good. I love that guy's accent(s)!

Orchid said...

The Body Finder sounds great. I so want to borrow it as soon as you get a chance to read it. ^_^

Glad to see your working on that story again, can't wait till you write it.

Personally, I'm not a fan of audio books. I find them distracting and easy to ignore.

I'll have to check out your shop and see if anything has changed since the last time I visited it.

Happy reading. ^_^

Brittany @ Nice Girls Read Books said...

First of all, love your blog name! Haha!

I'm curious to see if you like Firelight or not. Sadly, it didn't sit well with me but I know a lot of people really loved it!

Great reads this week, hope you enjoy them all!

Check out my mailbox this week

Rebecca said...

Great books you got this week. I'm currently listening to the Leviathan audiobook. It's really good. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

brandileigh2003 said...

I've heard a lot about Firelight and wanna read eventually.
Happy reading!
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Sasha Switz said...

Firelight looks great. Good picks!

Gabrielle Carolina said...

Happy Reading!

Check out my IMM to find out how to win a signed copy of Lauren Oliver's Delirium and more in my month long Valentine's Event!

http://themodpodgebookshelf.blogspot.com/2011/01/imm-18.html

Nadia Murti said...

Good luck with your writing project, and I ought to read Leviathan.

Tabitha Bird said...

Wow. Busy week for you. You are reading some great books. I need to read Levianthan.

Chiseled in Rock said...

Love love love your artwork...and the title of the blog!

Dave