Thursday, January 27, 2011

Cover For Me 2

Cover For Me is all about book covers and what I think of them. Sometimes it will just be one cover, sometimes it will be different covers for the same book.

This week's cover is...

Raven's Gate by Anthony Horowitz
(hardback)
This cover certainly caught my eye when I first saw it on Scholastic's site a little before the book came out. It's a little mysterious and, in my opinion, really cool looking. I like the design over the radiation symbol, and the colors give it a sort of sinister feel, which is perfect for the book. I also like the font, though I think the title could have been a little bigger.
This cover is definitely... for me.

(paperback)
I was really disappointed when I saw the paperback of this, and insanely happy I owned the hardcover. I just don't like it. It makes the story seem cheesy and Goosebumps-y. The font is so plain, the image unimaginative. Had this been the original cover, there's a good chance I wouldn't have read the book.
This cover is... not for me.

(paperback reprint/UK cover)
Scholastic must have realized the mistake they made with the first paperback, because they made a new one (which I think is also the UK cover). To be honest, after seeing the US covers for Evil Star and Nightrise (which followed the theme of the first Raven's Gate paperback), and seeing the UK covers for the same books, I was a little jealous of the UK covers. They were so much cooler than the half face thing! As much as I like this one and think it fits the book better than the original paperback, I still like the hardback more. The colors and font are nice, and I like that this one has the good guys' logo instead of the bad guys' (even though the bad guys have a slightly better symbol).
This cover is... for me.

So, what do you think of the different covers? Which one would you be more likely to pick up?

2 comments:

Orchid said...

Definitely the hardback cover, it just fits the syory better. Followed by the UK paperback, the other one is just blah. ^_^

Zombie Girrrl said...

I agree totally; the first one is the best, the second one is awful, and the third one is all right.
BTW, I love your new background! The new theme is really nice.