Saturday, October 30, 2010

NaNoWriMo 2010

It's that time of year again. Time to attempt the impossible (for me... so far) and try to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. Yes, NaNoWriMo is here at last has sort of snuck up on me again.

BTW, you can find me on NaNo as EclecticDahlia.

I'm really excited for NaNo this year, despite the sneaking up thing. And okay, maybe it didn't totally sneak up on me. Maybe I started preparing for it earlier this month, then made a big change to my story that called for re-outlining the whole thing, and maybe I pushed off said re-outlining until the last minute. But even with an outline to rewrite, I'm still looking forward to it this year, and feel more prepared than the last two years (my first year, I didn't even hear about NaNo until about now, and didn't sign up until November 3).

So, a little about my story. It's a dystopian steampunk YA, I thought of it about two years ago and tried to write it last year, but got super stuck. I'm kind of glad I didn't finish it last year. I've made a few changes that I'm really liking so far, and think will greatly improve the book.
I can't give you a synopsis, because a) I'm horrible at writing them, and b) I'm paranoid about putting my stories online, but I can give you a title and a cover.


What do you think? It turned out better than I thought it would. Not only that, it has worked as a great visual aid for me. I always knew the main character would have a clockwork tattoo, but could never picture it right. I've tried drawing it, but with my lack of artistic talent it alwasy turned out wrong (and usually ended up taking up half her face).
Anyone that's looked at the My Books page will know this story as Whistle, the book's former online alias (I was just going to abbreviate it to WIS, until ZG pointed out that it sounded like "whistle", and I decided to go with that). Anyway, I decided to reveal the actual title after realizing it wasn't all that amazing or original and didn't give away much about the story.

So, I guess that's really all I can say about NaNo right now. I'll post updates throughout November, and add a word count widget to the left sidebar.

Before I go, I'd like to wish a big GOOD LUCK to all the bloggers and readers also doing NaNo this year. =D
Eclectically yours,

7 comments:

Lea (YA Book Queen) said...

Yay! Hope you get that 50K!

Love the cover, by the way. It's gorgeous!

Racquel Henry said...

I'll be participating this year for the first time! Good luck! :)

Kailia Sage said...

I love your cover! I'm writer-4-u and I added you to my buddy list! A dystopian steampunk YA sounds really cool and I would pick up your book because of it's cover (since there is no synopsis yet...lol)

The Golden Eagle said...

Good luck!!

I love the cover art! It fits the genre well.

(This will be my first year doing it . . . I'm really excited.)

The 355 said...

Yayyyy another nano person! I'll become your writing bud!!! Good luck!
Ps my name on it is nano not the 355

Rebecca said...

Good luck. I've added you as a buddy.

Nadia Murti said...

Good luck, and great cover!