Saturday, October 23, 2010

In My Mailbox 39

In My Mailbox is hosted by The Story Siren and inspired by Alea of Pop Culture Junkie.

Bought

Darkside by Tom Becker
Pub. date: February 2008
Jonathan Starling's home has been attacked, his dad is in an asylum, he's running for his life, and there's nowhere to hide. Jonathan has stumbled upon London's greatest secret: Darkside. Incredibly dangerous and unimaginably exciting, Darkside is the creepiest place Jonathan has ever seen. It's a world of nightmares and secrets, where fear and evil rule, and Jonathan has to find a way out....
Since Tom Becker learned to hold a pen, he wanted to become a writer. In fact, when he was five years old, he wrote in a notebook that it was his dream was to be an author. Tom studied History at Oxford University and was inspired by the otherworldly atmosphere of this academic institution. He used to spend long days studying and reading in the University library, but now he spends long days writing.
It's not often that I buy books I've already read, but I really liked this one (and it was half off). I definitely look forward to reading this again, though I'll probably wait until I have the sequel. You can read my review of Darkside here.

So You Want to Be a Wizard by Diane Duane
Pub. date: June 2001

Thirteen-year-old Nita, tormented by a gang of bullies because she won't fight back, finds the help she needs in a library book on wizardry which guides her into another dimension.
I pick this up just about every time I go to the used bookstore, and this week I finally decided to buy it. It sounds sort of interesting.

The Key to Rondo by Emily Rodda
Pub. date: February 2008
There are three rules to the old, painted music box: Wind the box three times only. Never shut the box when the music is playing. Never move the box before the music stops.
Leo wouldn't dream of breaking these rules, but does his stubborn cousin Mimi listen? She winds the box four times—and suddenly the paintings on its side come to life and a powerful witch is released. Now it's up to Leo and Mimi to stop the witch, if only they can find the key to the music box—and the magical world it controls.
I literally squealed when I saw this. I love Emily Rodda! She's my all time favorite author. I probably would not be the bookworm I am today without her Deltora books. I'm so excited about this! I can't wait to read it!

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter
Pub. date: March 2007
Cammie Morgan is a student at the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women, a fairly typical all-girls school-that is, if every school taught advanced martial arts in PE and the latest in chemical warfare in science, and students received extra credit for breaking CIA codes in computer class.  The Gallagher Academy might claim to be a school for geniuses but it's really a school for spies. Even though Cammie is fluent in fourteen languages and capable of killing a man in seven different ways, she has no idea what to do when she meets an ordinary boy who thinks she's an ordinary girl.  Sure, she can tap his phone, hack into his computer, or track him through town with the skill of a real "pavement artist"-but can she maneuver a relationship with someone who can never know the truth about her?  Cammie Morgan may be an elite spy-in-training, but in her sophomore year, she's on her most dangerous mission: falling in love.
I really liked this, as well as the rest of the series, so I couldn't turn down a new-looking paperback at the used bookstore. Now all I have to do is get the second one (in paperback, of course, otherwise it would stick out between books 1 and 3) and I'll have the whole series (until another book comes out...).

The Julian Game by Adele Griffin
Pub. date: August 2010
All new girl Raye Archer wants is a way into the in crowd, so when ice-queen Ella Parker picks her to get back at her ex, the gorgeous Julian Kilgarry, Raye is more than game. Even if it means creating a fake Facebook identity so she can learn enough about Julian to sabotage him. It's a fun and dangerous thrill at first, but Raye hadn't counted on falling for Julian herself--and igniting Ella's rage.
As Raye works to reconcile the temptress Elizabeth with her real-life self, Ella serves up her own revenge, creating an online smear campaign of nasty rumors and trashy photographs. Suddenly notorious, Raye has to find a way out of the web of deceit that she's helped to build, and back to the relationships that matter.
Adele Griffin's riveting novel explores the issues of generation Facebook: the desire to be someone else, real versus online friends, and the pitfalls and fallouts of posting your personal life online for all the world to judge.
I ordered this from Book Depository a while ago, and IT FINALLY CAME!!! SO EXCITED!!! It sounds really good, and I've heard excellent things about it. I absolutely love the cover!

The Hunchback Assignments by Arthur Slade
Pub. date: August 2010
A gripping new series combines Steampunk, spying, and a fantastic Victorian London.
The mysterious Mr. Socrates rescues Modo, a child in a traveling freak show. Modo is a hunchback with an amazing ability to transform his appearance, and Mr. Socrates raises him in isolation as an agent for the Permanent Association, a spy agency behind Brittania’s efforts to rule the empire. At 14, Modo is left on the streets of London to fend for himself. When he encounters Octavia Milkweed, another Association agent, the two uncover a plot by the Clockword Guild behind the murders of important men. Furthermore, a mad scientist is turning orphan children into automatons to further the goals of the Guild. Modo and Octavia journey deep into the tunnels under London and discover a terrifying plot against the British government. It’s up to them to save their country.
Ask and ye shall receive, or in this case blog and ye shall receive. ;) Really looking forward to reading this, but will wait because, honestly, the next book is a higher priority. I have a lot of steampunky goodness to look forward to! ^_^

Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld and Keith Thompson (SIGNED!)
Pub. date: October 2010
The behemoth is the fiercest creature in the British navy. It can swallow enemy battleships with one bite. The Darwinists will need it, now that they are at war with the Clanker powers.
Deryn is a girl posing as a boy in the British Air Service, and Alek is the heir to an empire posing as a commoner. Finally together aboard the airship Leviathan, they hope to bring the war to a halt. But when disaster strikes the Leviathan's peacekeeping mission, they find themselves alone and hunted in enemy territory.
Alek and Deryn will need great skill, new allies, and brave hearts to face what's ahead.
So so so so sooooooo excited about this!!! Not only was the first one amazing (as well all the other books I've read by him), but I got this one SIGNED! And not the signed of all my other signed books, which I won in contests and simply arrived in the mail with an author's signature. I finally managed to make it to a book signing! It was so much fun! I'll post more about the event later.
 
Borrowed

Kiss Me Kill Me by Lauren Henderson
Pub. date: January 2008
When 16-year-old Scarlett Wakefield transfers from St. Tabby’s to Wakefield Hall Collegiate, she is relieved that no one knows her dark, haunting secret. A few months ago, Scarlett was invited to an elite party with a guest list full of the hottest names in British society, including Dan McAndrew. Before the party, Scarlett had only imagined what it would be like to have her first kiss with Dan, but on the penthouse terrace, Dan leaned in close and she no longer had to wonder. Their kiss was beautiful and perfect and magical, and then . . . Dan McAndrew took his last breath as she held him in her arms. No one knows how or why Dan died, and everyone at St. Tabby’s believes Scarlett had something to do with it. But now that she’s safely hidden away at Wakefield Hall, Scarlett would rather forget that it ever happened. Only she can’t. Especially when she receives an anonymous note that will set her on the path to clearing her name and finding out what really happened to the first and last boy she kissed.
Hmm, Kiss Me Kill Me, I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You. I'm seeing a pattern here, and it's a little disturbing. xD Though, beyond titles, I don't think they have much in common. Anyway, I saw this on Random Buzzers a little while ago, and thought it sounded interesting, so I looked for it at my library. Surprise, surprise, they had it! And it was checked in with no waiting list! So I ordered it, and it came in the same day as The Julian Game, which was also a day before I bought Behemoth. Library books usually have priority over books I own, but I'm going to have to make an exception this time. Sorry, Kiss Me Kill Me, but I'm afraid I'll have to send you back unread and check you out another time.

Anyway, that's all I got this week. I'd say this was one of my better book weeks. So excited to read all of these!

Eclectically yours,

8 comments:

Orchid said...

Eek! Great books. You must let me borrow The Julian Game and Behemoth and The Hunchback Assignments after you read them. Happy reading. ^_^

Misha1989 said...

Woah! Amazing books! I really want to read The Julian Game.
Here's what I got In My Mailbox

TheBookishSnob said...

You have some amaZing books there in your IMMB this week :) Happy reading.

Come see what's in my mailbox

AngelicNytmare said...

So I wrote down like 5 of those that sounded interesting to me. They are now on my list. Enjoy reading.

http://bookaholicaanonymous.blogspot.com/2010/10/in-my-mailbox-2.html

Nikki-ann said...

Darkside sounds great. I might just look out for it, thanks :)

Lori said...

The Hunchback Assignments looks interesting. I hope that you enjoy your books. Check out what I got In My Mailbox. Happy reading.

Tara said...

Ooh, I read the first three or four books in the "So You Want to be a Wizard?" series a few years ago, and I've been meaning to pick up the rest, and reread/finish the series! Hope you enjoy it and all your new books this week!

Here's what I got in my mailbox this week :)

Cynthia said...

Awesome books!! The Darkside sounds really good. Enjoy and happy reading! =D