Friday, October 22, 2010

The Daykeepers Grimoire by Christy Raedeke

Can one (super smart) girl
(who just wants to be discovered)
decipher the cryptic Mayan calendar prophecy and SAVE THE WORLD?
When her safe-cracker mom and code-breaker dad inherit a dreary Scottish castle, sixteen-year-old Caity Mac Fireland is not happy. Ripped from her cushy life and friends in San Francisco, Caity’s secret fantasy of being discovered by a Hollywood agent, talent scout, or even just a pageant coach seems more unlikely than ever.
But when Caity stumbles across a hidden room in the castle, its walls covered in strange symbols, her life takes a bizarre turn. She finds herself center stage in an international conspiracy involving warring secret societies, assassins, the suppressed revelations of the Mayan Calendar and the year 2012, plus the fate of humanity.
With the help of her friend Justine back home, and Alex, a gorgeous and mysterious Scottish boy, Caity must race to decipher the code and reveal its message to the world before time runs out.
I had very high hopes for The Daykeeper's Grimiore, and it met every one of them. I absolutely loved this book! From start to finish, though there were a few things I didn't totally like, I wouldn't change a thing.
Caity is officially one of my all time favorite characters! She was amusing, smart, and just a tad bit creepy when it came to Alex (in a hilarious, laugh out loud way). My other favorite character is Mr. Papers. I don't usually like animals in books that much (particularly ones that play a fairly big role, like Mr. Papers did), and I really don't like monkeys that much, but I loved Mr. Papers! He was adorable! And he did origami! How can you not love that?
Caity and Mr. P weren't the only good characters. Justine, Caity's friend in San Francisco, was really cool and kind of funny. I really started to like her when she had to do all the "spy" work for Caity. She's definitely a friend I'd like to have if I ever had to save the world.
Alex was an okay character, though I honestly can't remember that much about him (and I failed to make any notes on him).
This book had something that many YA books have been lacking: adults. I was a little shocked by the strong adult presence (even though Caity's parents were often out of the picture, though not unreasonably so). It was so weird, yet nice, to read a YA book where the teens weren't like little adults in an adult-free world.
I liked the mystery in the book, of never knowing who can be trusted, as well as the build-up to the reveal of the prophecy. Raedeke's writing is fantastic, it pulls you right into the story. This book was nearly impossible to put down.
Prophecy of Days: The Daykeeper's Grimiore was an excellent and original start to a promising new series, and one of the best debuts I've ever read. I highly recommend it.

I give The Daykeeper's Grimiore four roller skates.
Cover: I really like it! It has an interesting font, and a lot of important elements from the book, and I like the colors.

Eclectically yours,

3 comments:

Lauren said...

You've review has made me totally regretting not buying this the other weekend when I was at Barnes and Noble! Guess I'll have to it pick it up some other time. Thanks for the great review!

Orchid said...

Great review! Prophecy of Days is an incredible read, so glad I have my own copy. ^_^

Christy Raedeke said...

Dahlia, I can't tell you how lovely it was to stumble on your review of Prophecy of Days! You have just totally made my day/week/month.

Thank you, thank you!

All best,
Christy Raedeke