Saturday, August 21, 2010

In My Mailbox 34

In My Mailbox is hosted by The Story Siren and inspired by Alea of Pop Culture Junkie.

Borrowed

The Dark Mystery of the Shadow Beasts by Gregory Janicke
Pub. date: June 2004
On planet Dulunae, a unique group of teenagers manage to escape from the ruthless dictator, CH'NOPS, and his brutal army of Antibodies. Together, Gyro, Marina, Lynai'seth and Jax form a group called The Outcasts and scout for safety from the Antibodies. Coming from different cultures and customs, each of The Outcasts faces the challenge of overcoming and understanding these differences as they struggle to survive the barbaric conditions into which they are thrown. The Outcasts also set out to search for the place that promises freedom and peace - a place called HayVen. On their journey, they discover even greater dangers and encounter the monstrous creature and killer - Shadow Beast.
I picked this up at the library while I was waiting for House of Dark Shadows to come in. It was short, sounded kind of interesting, but couldn't grab my attention enough for me to get through the first page. Needless to say, I'll be sending it back first chance I get.

House of Dark Shadows by Robert Liparulo
Pub. date: May 2008
When the Kings move from L.A. to a secluded small town, fifteen-year-old Xander is beyond disappointed. He and his friends loved to create amateur films . . . but the tiny town of Pinedale is the last place a movie buff and future filmmaker wants to land.

But he, David, and Toria are captivated by the many rooms in the old Victorian fixer-upper they moved into--as well as the heavy woods surrounding the house.
They soon discover there's something odd about the house. Sounds come from the wrong directions. Prints of giant, bare feet appear in the dust. And when David tries to hide in the linen closet, he winds up in locker 119 at his new school.
Then the really weird stuff kicks in: they find a hidden hallway with portals leading off to far-off places--in long-ago times. Xander is starting to wonder if this kind of travel is a teen's dream come true . . . or his worst nightmare.
I put this on hold at the library a while ago, and it finally came in a few days ago! Yay! I'm only a few chapters in (8 or 9, I think), and so far it's good, and creepy! I don't usually read scary stories, so this will be a nice change of pace (and maybe even a good warm-up for The Forest of Hands and Teeth, which I've been putting off reading for a long time).

That's all I got this week.

Eclectically yours,

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

Awesome books you got this week. House of Dark Shadows looks really good. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

misha1989 said...

Great books! Have fun reading!

Here's what's In My Mailbox

Misha

Nina said...

House of Dark Shadows sounds indeed very creepy!! Have fun reading the books you got. :)

Trisha said...

oooo, House of Dark Shadows looks like an awesome read!!

Stop in and check out my mailbox. =)

E.J. Stevens said...

Great mailbox! I have The House of Dark Shadows on my tbr list. :) My IMM Birthday Edition is here.

xx,
E.J
From the Shadows

Kelli (I'd So Rather Be Reading) said...

I haven't heard of either of these but I hope you enjoy them! Happy reading!

Kara said...

I've never heard of House of Dark Shadows, but it sounds good.

cj'alhafiz said...

The book covers are great!! Ur blog also. Here, take this award...=b

http://coffeecrackers.blogspot.com/2010/08/blog-award-one-lovely-blog.html

The 355 said...

House of dark shadows is a great book! Though the only book to ever give me nightmares is Grendel beggars hey I was really young when I read it! But I have to get the second book to the series!

Orchid said...

House of Dark Shadows, never heard of it, but it does sound kind of good. ^_^