Saturday, July 31, 2010

In My Mailbox 32

In My Mailbox was started by The Story Siren and inspired by Alea of Pop Culture Junkie.

Won

The Rise of Renegade X by Chelsea Campbell
Pub. date: May 2010
"Sixteen-year-old Damien Locke has a plan: major in messing with people at the local supervillain university and become a professional evil genius, just like his supervillain mom. But when he discovers the shameful secret she's been hiding all these years, that the one-night stand that spawned him was actually with a superhero, everything gets messed up. His father's too moral for his own good, so when he finds out Damien exists, he actually wants him to come live with him and his goody-goody superhero family. Damien gets shipped off to stay with them in their suburban hellhole, and he has only six weeks to prove he's not a hero in any way, or else he's stuck living with them for the rest of his life, or until he turns eighteen, whichever comes first.
To get out of this mess, Damien has to survive his dad's "flying lessons" that involve throwing him off the tallest building in the city—despite his nearly debilitating fear of heights—thwarting the eccentric teen scientist who insists she's his sidekick, and keeping his supervillain girlfriend from finding out the truth. But when Damien uncovers a dastardly plot to turn all the superheroes into mindless zombie slaves, a plan hatched by his own mom, he discovers he cares about his new family more than he thought. Now he has to choose: go back to his life of villainy and let his family become zombies, or stand up to his mom and become a real hero."
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH! I'm sooo excited about this book! I've been wanting it for ages, so of course I had to get it when I won $25 to Book Depository from Eating YA Books during Book Extravaganza. Thank you so much for hosting the contest, Jan! I can't wait to read this!

Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder
Pub. date: April 2010
"Keep Your Head Down.

Don't Get Noticed.
Or Else.
I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? The only neck at risk is my own…until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution."
This is the other book I got with my prize from Eating YA Books. I've never read anything by Maria V. Snyder, so I don't know what to expect. It was really hard to choose what my other book would be, I finally settled on this (after making a list and consulting a randomizer), I hope it's good!
 
The Unwritten Rule (signed!) by Elizabeth Scott
Pub. date: March 2010
"Everyone know the unwritten rule: You don't like your best friend's boyfriend.
Sarah has has a crush on Ryan for years. He's easy to talk to, supersmart, and totally getd her. Lately it even seems like he's paying extra attnetion to her. Everything would be perfect except for two tiny details: Ryan is Brianna's boyfriend, and Brianna is Sarah's best friend.
Sarah forces herself to avoid Ryan and tries to convince herseld not to like him. She feels so guilty for wanting him, and the last thing she wants to do is hurt her best friend. But when she is thrown together with Etan one night, something happens between them. It's wonderful... and awful. Sarah is torn apart by guilt, but what she feels is nothing short of addiction, and she can't stop herself from wanting more..."
I won this during the Once Upon a Read-A-Thon hosted by Lori, Candace, and Angela. All the email said was a signed Elizabeth Scott book, so what I actually got was a complete surprise. I just have to say, I'm so glad it wasn't Living Dead Girl! That book sounds kind of terrifying, so it probably would have gone straight to a trade pile or contest. Thanks to the lovely hosts of the read-a-thon! I look forward to reading this!

A pretty good pre-birthday book week, if I do say so myself. I can't wait to read all of these! BIG THANKS to all the contest hosts!

Eclectically yours,

7 comments:

geekyreads said...

I really really liked The Unwritten Rule. I hope you like it as much as I did.

Good Golly Miss Holly said...

I need to hurry up and pick up The Unwritten Rule, enjoy!

shield maiden said...

These all sound like great reads! I know the first two are on my TBR list. I hope you enjoy them :)!

misha1989 said...

Great books! Enjoy reading them.
My first IMM post-
http://books-love-affair.blogspot.com/2010/08/in-my-mailbox.html

GABY said...

I also want to read The Rise of Renegade X by Chelsea Campbell! I'm waiting for it to arrive *_*

In My Mailbox

Lover of Romance said...

Looks like some good ones that you have this week!

Feel free to check out my Mailbox

Happy Reading!

Orchid said...

Ooh, you are so lucky! Inside Out and Rise of TRenegade X sound awesome. Happy reading. ^_^