Friday, July 2, 2010

Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally Carter

"When Cammie “The Chameleon” Morgan visits her roommate Macey in Boston, she thinks she’s in for an exciting end to her summer break. After all, she’s there to watch Macey’s father accept the nomination for vice president of the United States. But when you go to the world’s best school (for spies), “exciting” and “deadly” are never far apart. Cammie and Macey soon find themselves trapped in a kidnappers’ plot, with only their espionage skills to save them.
As her junior year begins, Cammie can’t shake the memory of what happened in Boston, and even the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women doesn’t feel like the safe haven it once did. Shocking secrets and old flames seem to lurk around every one of the mansion’s corners as Cammie and her friends struggle to answer the questions Who is after Macey? And how can the Gallagher Girls keep her safe?
Soon Cammie is joining Bex and Liz as Macey’s private security team on the campaign trail. The girls must use their spy training at every turn as the stakes are raised, and Cammie gets closer and closer to the shocking truth. . . ."
 
I’m not quite sure where to start, there are a lot of things I liked about this book. The writing was excellent, the pace good. It was an exciting edition to a series I already loved, and by far the best.
One of the things I liked the most about Don’t Judge a Girl by Her Cover in comparison to its predecessors, was that it wasn’t centered around boys and Cammie’s problems with them. There was a lot more action, and the mystery kept me guessing until the very end. Every time it seemed like the characters had solved the mystery, something happened that changed their whole view of it, and mine. It made it an addictive read that I couldn’t put down.
Another thing I really liked was that the scary, traumatizing events actually changed them. There are some books, one of which I read recently, where a character will walk away from some near-death experience without being affected the way they should have. I liked the paranoia and flashbacks Cammie and Macey got from almost being kidnapped.
There are only two things I didn’t like about this book.
  1. Cammie mentioned being a spy, being related to spies, going to a spy school, and not being an average, non-lethal 16 year old girl too much. In every other spy book I’ve ever read (and trust me, there are a lot), they never talked about being spies. They just were. In future books, it would be nice for the word “spy” not to come up quite so much.
  2. Instead of wondering why she always ran into Zach in unexpected places, usually breaching security, she was more concerned with the fact that he didn’t kiss her. It was really annoying, and made Cammie hard to like in those moments.
All in all, an excellent read. I highly recommend this series, and really look forward to the fourth book, Only the Good Spy Young.

I give Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover four Roller Skates.

Eclectically yours,

3 comments:

Ayesha said...

sounds like a great book and you also did a great review

The Blog

brave chickens said...

I absolutely agree with point number two you made. I hate it when even in other books the main character will go on and on about "why didn't he do this..." or "why am I like this..." It annoys me.

Orchid said...

You are so right, this was by far the best book in the series (I cannot wait for the next one). Thanks for leading me your copy. Nice review. :)