Friday, June 25, 2010

Fang by James Patterson

"Max and the Flock are flying high over Africa, but this time they're not alone. A sky full of cargo planes accompanies the team as they bring much-needed aid to the continent's poverty stricken regions. Among the volunteers is the mission's benefactor–the mysterious billionaire, Dr. Hans Gunther-Hagen. Max is intrigued by his generosity, but there's also something about him–and his intense scrutiny of the Flock–that makes her nervous.



But Dr. Hans isn't the only puzzling thing about their trip. The Flock also receives a cryptic message from a young girl, who tells them, "The sky will fall." Max and the Flock are ready to return home, still unable to make sense of her statement. But the surprises don't end with their departure, and something unbelievably momentous shakes up the Flock–pushing Max and Fang closer than ever. Will the team be able to stick together through the chaos?"

After the epic fail of The Final Warning and slightly less than awesome MAX, I really had my doubts about this book. I think I even considered not reading it for a time. But I couldn’t just turn my back on a series I’d been reading for years, just because the last two books weren’t exactly up to par.
I actually enjoyed FANG quite a bit. It was more like the first three books, with a clear villain trying to do God knows what to humans, no matter what the costs. The reappearance of the Erasers, while slightly confusing and not very well explained, was welcome. I missed the furry guys.
I gotta agree with the flock on the whole Max/Fang thing (or Fax, as some people call it). It was annoying, they were annoying. Just about every time they were together (with the exception of Vegas, because something actually happened there) I wanted someone or something else to barge in and liven things up a bit, preferably with a fight of the punching and kicking variety.
I didn’t think it was possible (and I may have said this in my review of MAX), but right when I thought Angel couldn’t get any more irritating, she did. There was a point in the book when I was actually hoping she’d die. I know it sounds horrible, but I just hate her so much.
The rest of the flock, however, were alright. You know, until they let Angel become their leader and all. Why on earth would a 15, 12, and 9 year old take orders from a 7 year old?! (FYI, they got older. Finally! When Angel declared herself 7 in the last book, it occurred to me that they’d been the same age for a long time, longer than they should have been. But hey, what can you do when you don’t know your birthday and are too busy saving the world to keep track of the date?)
I can’t review this book without addressing the thing that put every fangirl into a tizzy: Dylan. A lot of the aforementioned fangirls are probably going to hate me for saying this but, he wasn’t that bad. It was a little annoying that Patterson was trying to force a love-tent (because love-triangle just doesn’t make sense, unless one of them is very confused) where one could not exist. But other than that, and everyone always saying how gorgeous he was, I didn’t find Dylan to be all that annoying or anything. I found him kinda sad, actually. I mean, the dude couldn’t even fly before he met the flock!
Anyway, I liked this book. It wasn’t the best in the series (the first three are tied for that honor), but it definitely wasn’t the worst. I’m really glad they finally got back to fighting evil wackadoo scientists and being shot at everywhere they went. I’m also really glad they were only working with the CSM for a very short time in the beginning.

I give FANG four roller skates.
 Eclectically yours,

2 comments:

brave chickens said...

I agree on some of the points you made, especially about Angle and Dylan. The first three books were the best, and after that it's kinda gone downhill, as if the books are being written to bring in money (I know I sound harsh but that is my honest opinion.)

Orchid said...

Definitely better then the last two Max Ride books. Although a bit irksome at points. Hope the next one is even better. :)