Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Epic by Conor Kostick

"Welcome to a society governed through computer games!

On New Earth, society is governed and conflicts are resolved in the arena of a fantasy computer game, Epic. If you win, you have the chance to fulfill your dreams; if you lose, your life both in and out of the game is worth nothing. When teenage Erik dares to subvert the rules of Epic, he and his friends must face the Committee. If Erik and his friends win, they may have the key to destroying the Committee's tyranny. But if they lose . . ."

I found this book on B&N's website a long time ago and thought it sounded good, and when I first started going back to the library, was very disappointed to learn they didn't have it. Then I found out another library in my systen had it, and was once again excited about it. Sadly, I was disappointed again.
Epic had a promising plot, and sounded really original (well, I've never heard of anything else like it, though something might be, and likely is, out there somewhere). A world governed through video games. It sounded awesome! Unfortunately, the execution was less than satisfactory. The writing was fine, but it kinda skimmed in places. Like the huge graduation battle, or whatever it was, that was really important. Kostick skipped over it completely! And [SPOILER] when they had to find a treasure with a really important item in it that could end the game. It was supposed to be really dangerous and difficult to find, but they found and dug up the treasure in about two pages. Then, after that, it skipped over the entire trip back home. [SPOILER OVER]
I suppose the characters were okay. Erik was smart when it came to Epic, and had one of the more interesting characters in the game. Injeborg was cool-ish, I guess. Bjorn and Sigrid were kinda boring. I think B.E. was my favorite. He was kinda funny, with his obsession with Epic and eagernes to go into battle. I found him amusing.
The villain was good. Just the right amount of insanity. Sometimes I couldn't help but think he was kinda lame for the sheer fact that he was battling teenagers in a video game. When you really think about it like that, it makes it all seem like a joke.
All in all, Epic was kinda mediocre. Not a total waste of time, but not a series I wish to complete, which is fine since everything was wrapped up rather nicely in the end (if not a little quickly).

I give Epic two and a half Fists of Rock.

Eclectically yours,

2 comments:

Orchid said...

I totally hate it when a book turns out to be a disappointment. Better luck on the book you read. :)

The 355 said...

erg I was going to read this! Know I'm not so sure! Anyway LOVE the blog!