Thursday, February 18, 2010

Candor by Pam Bachorz

"In the model community of Candor, Florida, every teen wants to be like Oscar Banks. The son of the town's founder, Oscar earns straight As, is student-body president, and is in demand for every club and cause.

But Oscar has a secret. He knows that parents bring their teens to Candor to make them respectful, compliant–perfect–through subliminal Messages that carefully correct and control their behavior. And Oscar' s built a business sabotaging his father's scheme with Messages of his own, getting his clients out before they're turned. After all, who would ever suspect the perfect Oscar Banks?
Then he meets Nia, the girl he can't stand to see changed. Saving Nia means losing her forever. Keeping her in Candor, Oscar risks exposure . . . and more."
 
I liked Candor, but not until I finished reading it. I'm not saying I only liked it because it was over, it was really good. I'm saying it was better once I knew the whole story. Candor was creative and well written, and scary. I never thought of how truly terrifying brainwashing was until I read this. I'm not sure if it's just because everyone was robbed of any individuality that might have possessed, or if it was because they were all forced into this pastel wearing, anti-art-and-anything-else-fun mold. It was downright creepy! The creepiest part was probably when they came semi-close to leavig there mold and started spouting Messages.
I really didn't like Oscar, or Nia, for that matter. Oscar was annoyingly cocky, and a bit of a jerk. There were a few times when I really wanted to slap or kick him, and he totally would have deserved it. I didn't like that he only helped rich kids and pretty girls, as if they're the only poeple that deserve to escape being brainwashed.
Nia was just kinda cliche. She did bad stuff, like, life ruining stuff, just because her parents didn't want her to do them. That really annoyed me. And then, she went and ruined her life even more in Candor. [SPOILER] I think she was actually better after going to the Listening Room.[SPOILER OVER]
The person I probably hated the most was Oscar's dad, the mastermind behind Candor and the one robbing everyone of their right to think freely, while telling them he was 'helping' them.
The pace was a little slow, but I think it worked for the story. It wasn't an action packed, mile-a-minute book, so a faster pace might have just been weird.
The ending was perfect, I wouldn't change a thing about it.
So, to sum up: This book was great, though the characters, not so much. The writing was great, the story interesting and original. I don't highly recommend it, as occasionally I had trouble getting into it, but I still think it's worth reading.

I give Candor four Fists of Rock.

Eclectically yours,

1 comment:

The 355 said...

it truly was a good book! I also agree with you on Oscar and Nia! I found them annoying at times! I loved the ending it reminded me of th e ending of SPOILER!! 1984 where Winston was Brain washed and it ended with him licking big brother! I also must say the only real reason I read this was I say it on your book shelf and it turned up on in the school library the next day! Also the guy on the cover looked like Alex Pettyfer! Haha!