Monday, January 11, 2010

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

"My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again.

All I wanted was to make friends, meet boys, and keep on being ordinary. I don't even know what that means anymore. It all started on the day that I saw my first ghost—and the ghost saw me.
Now there are ghosts everywhere and they won't leave me alone. To top it all off, I somehow got myself locked up in Lyle House, a "special home" for troubled teens. Yet the home isn't what it seems. Don't tell anyone, but I think there might be more to my housemates than meets the eye. The question is, whose side are they on? It's up to me to figure out the dangerous secrets behind Lyle House . . . before its skeletons come back to haunt me."

I really wish I'd read this book sooner. It'd been in my TBR pile for ages, but I had other books to read, so I kept putting it off, and blah blah blah. Now I'm kicking myself for not reading it sooner. It was sooo good!
I'm not even sure exactly what I liked about it. I guess the simple answer would be everything. It was just made of awesome!
Chloe was a great character. I don't remember ever finding her annoying, which is rare for me. There's always something about the main character that I just can't stand, but not this time. Well, actually, there was something. There were a few instances where Chloe seemed kinda helpless and weak, something I really don't like in a protagonist, but then, it just kinda added to her character. I liked that she didn't just accept everything right away. Necromancy? No, it must just be her supposed schitzophrenia. Magic? Nonsense, that stuff only exists in movies.
Something else I really liked about Chloe was that she wasn't totally brave or kick-butt. When she got stuck in a scary, shouldn't-be-happening-in-real-life situation she got scared. I really liked that she was flawed, perfect characters stink. But then, some flaws just make characters unlikable.
This was one book where I'd been planning to read it for so long, I kinda forgot what it was about. I knew there was something about seeing ghosts, and that she got sent to a home for disturbed teenagers, but that was about it. I kinda like going into books not sure what to expect.
I really liked the mix of supernatural beings and mental illnesses, and how one was passed off for the other. It was really interesting.
One thing that really shows how good this book was is how quickly I read it. It took me three days, which is a lot less time than I thought it would take me.
The other characters in the book were also really good. Rae and Derek were some of my other favorites. Derek was a bit of a jerk in the beginning, but he got better by the end. I kinda guessed what he was before it was finally revealed (actually, before it was even revealed that he was something, but then, I'd kinda heard something from ZG so it doesn't really count).
I can't really think of what to say about Rae. She was just one of those likable best friend characters.
Anyway, this is a really good book that I now highly recommend. It was well written, had a good story, and great characters. Not to mention the plot twist at the end! I loved it! I can't wait to start reading The Awakening (a title that always gets me mixed up as to which one which one goes first). After reading my comments, I noticed a minor mistake, which is now crossed out. I've already read The Awakening, and my review should be up in a few weeks.

I give The Summoning four Fists of Rock.

Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

5 comments:

Orchid said...

Now, I really want to read The Summoning. I just might bumb it to near the top of my TBR pile. :)

Michelle said...

Fantastic wasn't it? Please don't wait too long to read the next one because it just gets better. I don't know how I'm going to wait until #3 comes out!!

Zombie Girrrl said...

Love, LOVE, LOVE this series! I can't wai for The Reckoning!

Dahlia said...

Orchid: You really should read it soon!

Michelle: I didn't notice what I said about The Awakening until I read your comment. I actually already read it, and LOVED it! It was even better then The Summoning! ^_^

Zombie Girrrl: Same here!

Nadia Murti said...

I loved 'The Summoning' but I'm still waiting for 'The Awakening' to come out in paperback.

Good review.

-Nadia