Saturday, January 23, 2010

In My Mailbox 22 + Soundtrack Saturday 2

IMM
In My Mailbox was started by The Story Siren and inspired by Alea of Pop Culture Junkie.

Bought

Vamped by Lucienne Diver
Pub. date: May 09
"Gina Covello's Perks and Pitfalls of Vamp Life
1. Hello?! Eternal youth and beauty!
2. Free. Designer. Clothes.
3. My hot new boyfriend Bobby went from chess dud to vamp stud.
4. No reflection! First order of business: turn my own stylist to stop the downward spiral from chic to eek.
5. Vampire vixen Mellisande has taken an interest in my boyfriend, and is now transforming the entire high school into her own personal vampire army. If anyone's going to start their own undead entourage it should be me.
I guess I'll just have to save everyone from fashion disasters and other fates worse than death."
Found this at the used bookstore. Sounds like it could be funny.

Dead Is So Last Year by Marlene Perez
Pub. date: May 09
"Something very strange starts happening in Nightshade the summer that the eldest Giordano sister, Rose, gets a job working at Dr. Franken's research laboratory. People are starting to see double. Doppelgängers of Nightshade residents are popping up all over town. Daisy, Rose and Poppy think it's a coincidence, until the rumors start that their father, who disappeared several years ago, has been spotted in town. Meanwhile, Daisy's beau, Ryan is spending all of his time training for football, and like the other guys on the team, he's grown enormous almost overnight. Samantha Devereux's boyfriend's neck has doubled in size since school ended. Could the football players be resorting to extreme measures to win? Between summer jobs, sugar rushes, and beach parties, the Giordano girls get to the bottom of these mysteries and more."
I'm so happy I finally have this! I loved Dead Is the New Black and Dead Is a State of Mind! I got to interview Marlene a few months ago. Read it here. I've already finished this, but it might be a while before my review's up (I've got a few other reviews to write first).

Confessions of a Closet Catholic by Sarah Darer Littman
Pub. date: February 05
"Justine Silver's best friend, Mary Catherine McAllister, has given up chocolate for Lent, but Justine doesn't think God wants her to make that kind of sacrifice. So she's decided to give up being Jewish instead.

Eleven-year-old Justine pours her heart out to her teddy bear, "Father Ted," in a homemade closet confessional. But when Justine's beloved Bubbe suffers a stroke, Justine worries that her religious exploration is responsible. Worse, she must suddenly contemplate life without Bubbe. Ultimately, it's Bubbe's quiet understanding of Justine's search for identity that helps Justine to find faith in the most important place of all-within herself."
Spent an hour and half in the car, then another hour in a Catholic bookstore, and this was all I found. Sounds like it might be good. I like the cover. :)

Borrowed

Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan
Pub date: September 04
"When Henry Atherton helps Mr. Fogarty clean up around his house, he expects to find a mess and a cranky old man; what he doesn't expect to find is Pyrgus Malvae, crown prince of the Faerie realm, who has escaped the treacherous Faeries of the Night by traveling to the human world through a portal powered by trapped lightning. An egomaniacal demon prince, greedy glue factory owners Brimstone and Chalkhill, and the nefarious Lord Hairstreak, leader of the Faeries of the Night, all dream of ruling the Faerie realm and are out to kill Pyrgus. Enlisting the help of his sister, Holly Blue, and his new friend, Henry, Pyrgus must get back to the Faerie world alive before one of his many enemies gets to him instead. But how many portals are open, and can Pyrgus find the right one before it falls into the wrong hands? Conjuring scenes filled with vivid color, unforgettable detail, and fearless characters, author Herbie Brennan brings readers to the Faerie world, where nothing is ever what it seems and no one can be trusted."
I've been craving faerie books lately. I don't know why, I've never been particularly interested in them before, but recently I found myself needing a faerie book. So, I went online and searched my library system for faerie books (after searching them and asking about them on Shelfari), and this is one of the ones I found.

Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith
Pub. date: February 07
"CLASSIFIED ADS: RESTAURANTS
SANGUINI'S: A VERY RARE RESTAURANT IS HIRING A CHEF DE CUISINE. DINNERS ONLY.
APPLY IN PERSON BETWEEN 2:00 AND 4:00 PM.

Quincie Morris has never felt more alone. Her parents are dead, and her hybrid-werewolf first love is threatening to embark on a rite of passage that will separate them forever. Then, as she and her uncle are about to unveil their hot vampire-themed restaurant, a brutal murder leaves them scrambling for a chef. Can Quincie transform their new hire into a culinary Dark Lord before opening night? Can he wow the crowd in his fake fangs, cheap cape, and red contact lenses — or is there more to this earnest face than meets the eye? As human and preternatural forces clash, a deadly love triangle forms, and the line between predator and prey begins to blur. Who’s playing whom? And how long can Quincie play along before she loses everything? TANTALIZE marks Cynthia Leitich Smith’s delicious debut as a preeminent author of dark fantasy."
Saw this at the library and read the first few pages. Wasn't bad, so I decided to get it.

That's all I got this week. Not a bad week, I'm gonna be busy for while. ^_^


Soundtrack Saturday
SS is hosted by Rating Reads. To participate simply...
  • Take your current read or recently finished book.
  • Find at least one song that fits the story, characters, whatever.
  • Post the book title and song(s) on your blog with a brief explanation of your picks. Don't forget to mention who started it.
  • Head over to Rating Reads and add your post to the Mr. Linky.
Book: Dead Is So Last Year by Marlene Perez
Songs: Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran and We've Got a Big Mess on Our Hands by The Academy Is...
Why Hungry Like the WolfThe werewolves of Nightshade played a bigger role in this one, and with werewolves comes an appetite for raw meat, hence the song.


Why We've Got a Big Mess on Our Hands? The video for this actually fits the book pretty well. The citizens of Nightshade have a little problem with sugar crazed doppelgangers popping up, ruining the lives of the originals. Since the doppelgangers are evil, and one in particular causes the Giordano sisters some trouble, the lyrics fit too.


Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

9 comments:

prophecygirl said...

I like your cover of Faerie Wars! Enjoy :)

Orchid said...

Great books this week. I cannot wait to read the newest Dead Is book. Hope you enjoy all of your books. :)

Kathy Martin said...

Nice group of books this week! I think I might have read Tantalize a while ago. It sounds sort of familiar. I'll have to check my LibraryThing.

Happy reading!

Sarah said...

Great looking books! Happy reading this week!

Ravenous Reader said...

What a great assortment of books. I hope you enjoy them all.

trishalynn0708 said...

Vamped sounds really good!! Great mailbox this week!

http://trishasbookshelf.blogspot.com/2010/01/in-my-mailbox-jan-24.html

Stephanie said...

Ooh ... I LOVE the title of your blog. And I am cracking up over the title Dead is So Last Year. Enjoy all your books!

PolishOutlander said...

Tantalize was really good. A bit different from other vampire books. Vamped has been sitting on my shelf for a while. Happy reading!

Brooke Reviews said...

Great books! Have fun reading :)