Friday, January 15, 2010

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick


"For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along.

With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.
But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life."


I was a little disappointed with Hush, Hush. It just didn't live up to the hype.
First, I found Patch to be creepy. Like, mega creepy, for the majority of the book. Every time he was around, I wanted to slap some sense into Nora and drag her away for her own safety. I agreed with Nora's earlier feelings towards him, when she wanted to run away.
Nora was an okay character. Not too annoying (unless she was being stupid), but not very interesting. She just wasn't a very memorable character.
Vee was annoying. She really needed some sense screamed at her. Too bad she wouldn't have heard any of it. I really hated how she kept defending Elliot, even after finding out he was the prime suspect in a murder investigation, not to mention creepy. Jules took gold for Creepiest Character in the Book. I didn't really trust him from the beginning.
Some things I had problems with (other than the characters) were: The things that happened but didn't. About halfway through I was practically screaming, "Just let something remain happened!" You can only make someone think they're going crazy by undoing some frightening event that may or may not have occured so many times before it gets old.
The villains all kinda came out of nowhere. They were mentioned fairly early on, but then they just kinda disappeared until the last quarter of the book. I really would have liked to see them a little more before it was revealed that they were evil. To me, it kinda seemed like Fitzpatrick got to the climax and was like, "I need some villains. Oh, those characters aren't doing anything, I'll use them." Now, I'm not a big fan of mystery, I like to know who the villain is from the beginning, so a lot of people probably won't share my opinion on this matter.
All in all, Hush, Hush was good, it just didn't quite meet my expectations. It was well written, my only problems were the characters, which I coudn't really relate to, and the mystery aspect, which just isn't my thing. I haven't decided yet whether I'll read the sequel. Everything was wrapped up nicely enough, so not reading it won't kill me.

I give Hush, Hush four Fists of Rock.

Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

4 comments:

Zombie Girrrl said...

I loved this book, but I wasn't sure this would be your cup of tea. I'm sorry you didn't really like it. :(
Great review, though!

Orchid said...

So many conflicting views on Hush, Hush that I can't decide if I should read it. :)

Chutzpah said...

Finally a review of Hush Hush that doesn't just say "THIS BOOK WAS SOOOO GOOD!" I haven't read this YET, but it was refreshing to read a different take on it than usual.

The 355 said...

best review for the book by far! I can't wait till we get in the library!