Monday, December 21, 2009

Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy

"Meet Skulduggery Pleasant

Ace Detective
Snappy Dresser
Razor–tongued Wit
Crackerjack Sorcerer
and
Walking, Talking,
Fire-throwing Skeleton

—as well as ally, protector, and mentor of Stephanie Edgley, a very unusual and darkly talented twelve-year-old.
These two alone must defeat an all-consuming ancient evil.
The end of the world?
Over his dead body."

I loved Skulduggery Pleasant! It was sooo funny! The characters, writing, and story were really good.
I found the beginning to be a tad slow, but as soon as Skulduggery was introduced, things picked up. I loved the interaction between Stephanie and Skulduggery! The way they talked, all sarcastic and cocky and witty, reminded me of my friends a bit (but about ten times more amusing). They were almost always joking, and when they weren't it still sounded like they were. They were quite hilarious.
The synopsis didn't offer much info, so I really didn't know what was supposed to happen. As it turned out, it was about a very excellent villain trying to find something called the Sceptor of the Ancients, a very powerful weapon that you did not want to fall into the wrong hands. The quest for the Sceptor and all the fights surrounding it were quite interesting.
The best part of the book by far were the characters. Skulduggery, Stephanie, the hideous tailor Ghastly Bespoke, the extremely awesome Tanith Low, the mysterious and interesting China Sorrows, and the evil beyond reason Nefarian Serpine. Not only were they just interesting and fun to read about, but they had the coolest names! I wish I had a taken name (no, Frankie Barlow and Dahlia don't count), but I can't think of anything that would work. There was something really funny about how to pick your taken name: Don't pick something cool. There were a few examples of people who had picked "cool" names (like Razor and Jett) who were not cool. It was hilarious!
I recommend this book to everyone. It's hard to put into words how much I enjoyed it, which is why this review is kinda short. If you see it, read it, that's all I can say.

Skulduggery Pleasant was Too Much Rock for One Hand.


Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

3 comments:

Nadia Murti said...

Hmm...sounds interesting.

Orchid said...

I've heard great things about this book, that I just might have to read it.

lostdog said...

Great review! I'm a huge fan of the series as well. Have you read the two free Skulduggery stories on Amazon yet? They're really good too!