Wednesday, December 30, 2009

POV

Some of you might have noticed the lack of progress for Not Another Vampire Book on the right sidebar, and might be wondering, "What has she been doing all this time?!"

Well, I'll tell you.

I've been trying to figure out the next scene. I found myself a little stuck near the end of NaNo, and haven't been able to get passed the block. I've been thinking about the last scene a lot, trying to come up with something to follow it, but to no avail.

I think it's the narration that's getting me. The tone of the book has changed from light and funny to (hopefully) dark and slightly serious. Problem is, short chapters and lots of narrators, to me, doesn't work for a book like that, especially with the number of characters Not Another Vampire Book has (17). I've been thinking about it a lot over the last few weeks, and I think I need to go back and change everything to third person. The prologue was written in third person, and I really like the prologue. I hate everything else.
I just feel like it's missing something. Like every time I change narrators, a huge part of the story is lost. And that saddens me.

So now, out of curiousity, I must ask: Do you prefer first person or third person narration? Personally, I think it depends on the story, or more accurately, the cast. If it's a book with lots of key characters, I say third person. It it's about one to four people, I say first person. For Not Another Vampire Book, I'm afraid it migh be third person (I really wish I'd realized this before I getting past the prologue!).

Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

1 comment:

Orchid said...

With so many different characters I think you'd be better off using a third person format. Since it seems to work for big cast books. Plus I like third person best. :)