Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs

"When Phoebe's mom returns from Greece with a new husband and moves them to an island in the Aegean, Phoebe's plans for her senior year and track season are ancient history. Now she must attend the uberexclusive academy, where admission depends on pedigree, namely, ancestry from Zeus, Hera, and other Greek gods. That's right, they're real, not myth, and their teen descendants are like the classical heroes—supersmart and superbeautiful with a few superpowers. And now they're on her track team! Armed only with her Nikes and the will to win, Phoebe races to find her place among the gods."

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this, but I liked what I got.
Phoebe was an okay character for the first half of the book: She had goals and was determined to reach them. But somewhere along the line, she lost sight of all that, which really annoyed me. I was also very upset over how everything played out with her and Griffin. I wanted to hit her (and him)!
Anyway, on to story. The story was good, but there are a few things I wish the author had done differently. Like the decendents' powers. I wish they'd been different based on what god they were related to. Yeah, they all had different skills, but they all had the same powers, which were too limitless if you ask me.
I felt like all their problems were solved too quickly. Like when Phoebe almost gave away the secret of Serfopoula, or the ten year feud between Nicole and Griffin. Every time an issue came up, I got the feeling that Childs wimped out a little.
I didn't like how easily everyone accepted the news that the Greek gods were real. Yes, Phoebe fainted when she found out, and had a bit of visual evidense to back up the story, but I still think she accepted it too quickly. SPOILERS! Her friends accepted it waaay too easily. They didn't even really have anything to prove it.
Anyway, I liked this book. There were a few things I think could have been done a little better, but it was still good.

I give Oh. My. Gods. three Fists of Rock.


Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

1 comment:

...MY NAME IS ELENI AND I AM A BOOKAHOLIC... said...

Nice honest review. I own this book but haven't read it yet, eh hopefully I like it :) Hey I am Greek after all lol.