Sunday, December 27, 2009

Everlost by Neal Shusterman


"Nick and Allie don't survive the car accident...

...but their souls don't exactly get where they're supposed to get either. Instead, they're caught halfway between life and death, in a sort of limbo known as Everlost: a shadow of the living world, filled with all the things and places that no onger exist. It's a magical, yet dangerous place where bands of lost children run wild and anyone who stands in the same place too long sinks to the center of the Earth.
When they find Mary, the self-proclaimed queen of lost kids, Nick feels like he he's found a home, but allie isn't satisfied spending eternity between worlds. Against all warnings, Allie begins learning the "Criminal Art" of haunting, and ventures into dangerous territory, where a monster called the McGill threatens all the souls of Everlost.
In this imaginative novel, Neal Shusterman explores questions of life, death, and what just might lie in between."

I found Everlost to be a bit strange. Good, but strange. I guess it was because it was a mid-grade book about fourteen(?) year olds who'd died, which is depressing. But then, it wasn't depressing. I don't know, maybe it was just weird because it was a depressing topic that was approached in a semi-fun, lighthearted way.
The characters in this book were okay. I found both Nick and Allie to be a little annoying at times, but otherwise alright. Lief, on the other hand, annoyed me from beginning to end. I don't know why, I just didn't like him.
I also didn't like Mary Hightower, or Mary, Queen of Snots as some called her. I knew from the start that she couldn't be trusted. And her books? Can you say propaganda? She was twisted insanity hidden under a green velvet dress and a kind smile. It made for an interesting character, but not a very likable one in my opinion.
I found the McGill to be a little disappointing as a villain. Yeah, he was gross and scary looking, but that's really all he was. He mostly just threatened people, but in the time he was in the book, he rarely (if ever) followed through. His way of torturing the Afterlights, however, was hilarious! I laughed every time chiming was mentioned after it was explained. It was just sooo funny!
Story wise, this book was kinda mediocre. The characters just seemed to wander for a long time, skipping over weeks and months without doing anything. Allie had a goal, but she often got distracted from it, which made it easily forgettable. And when it finally came back into play at the end, I was a little thrown off. Nick's afterlife was just kinda lame. First it was all about being with Mary and pleasing her, then he kinda faded out of the story for a while, then his afterlife was all about fighting Mary? Though, I must admit, his new rivalry with Mary was quite interesting. I didn't realize she was so diabolical!
I knew who the McGill really was as soon as a bit of his past was revealed. It was annoying that it was so predictable, but also not. Maybe because I rarely guess things right in books.
Anyway, I found the end to be okay. Creepy on Mary's part, so-so on Nick's part, and just a tad confusing on Allie and the McGill' part. This book isn't very high on my list, but I do plan to read the sequel. If you like non-scary ghost stories, I recommend Everlost.

I give Everlost three Fists of Rock.

Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

3 comments:

Taschima Cullen said...

Ugh, annoying characters. Not reading this. Thanks for the heads up ^^

Nadia Murti said...

I once heard that it was good, but I guess that person doesn't know books.

I personally don't hate annoying characters, because since I find a lot of actual people annoying, it just makes the story a bit realistic.

Orchid said...

Non scary, how very boring. I might read it anyways. But only if I have run out of things to read. :)