Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Among the Imposters by Margaret Peterson Haddix


"OUT OF HIDING. INTO DANGER.

Luke Garner is an illegal third child. All his life has been spent in hiding. Now, for the first time, Luke is living among others. He has assumed a deceased boy's identity and is attending Hendricks School for Boys, a windowless building with cruel classmates and oblivious teachers. Luke knows he has to blend in, but he lives in constant fear that his behavior will betray him.
Then one day Luke discovers a door to the outside. He knows that beyond the walls of Hendricks lie the secrets he is desperate to uncover. What he doesn't know is whom he can trust — and where the answers to his questions may lead him..."

I think I liked Among the Imposters more than Among the Hidden. There was more going on, and it was just generally more interesting.
Like I said in my review of Among the Hidden, I didn't find Luke's reaction to meeting Jen very believable. The way he acted and felt when he was sent to a boarding school under another name, surrounded for the first time in his life by people he didn't know, was much more realistic.
I suspected that something was strange about the group of kids he met in the woods the moment they appeared. [Spoiler] I never trusted Jason. From the very beginning I knew there was something off about him. He was just too... something, I don't know what (I wish I hadn't forgotten this review for so long, it's been ages since I've read the book, so I can't remember what it was about him that was so untrustworthy).
Once again, I felt bad for Luke. For weeks he was lost in the school, often forgetting the way back to his room, and not even knowing his class schedule, just going along with the herd of students, never ending up in the same place twice. It was kinda sad.
I was a little annoyed by Mr. Talbot's note to Luke. I was just as frustrated as Luke was when the message was finally revealed. It was the most obvious advice ever! I would have shredded the note too.
All in all, this book was okay. I won't read it again (I rarely reread things), but I do plan on finishing the series eventually.

I give Among the Imposters three Fists of Rock.

Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

1 comment:

Orchid said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed reading it. :)