Friday, November 27, 2009

Dull Boy by Sarah Cross

"What do you do if you can deadlift a car, and you spend your nights flying to get away from it all? If you're fifteen-year-old Avery Pirzwick, you keep that information to yourself. When you're a former jock turned freak, you can't afford to let the secret slip.

But then Avery makes some friends who are as extraordinary as he is. He realizes they're more than just freaks—together, maybe they have a chance to be heroes. First, though, they have to decide whether to trust the mysterious Cherchette, a powerful wouldbe mentor whose remarkable generosity may come at a terrible price."

Dull Boy was better than I thought it would be, and I was expecting it to be pretty good.
Avery's powers were fairly simple, but really cool. I don't usually like the whole super strength thing, because the people who have it are usually annoying boy scouts. *coughSupermancough*
I loved Cross's description of flying. The only things I've read with flying (without wings) are comic books, and there isn't much (actually, any) room describing the act of flying there.
Nicholas and Catherine were my favorite characters (and Avery). Nicholas's powers were really interesting. He reminded me of Chamber (only in reverse) from the arc of Runaways with the Loners. I can't decide how I feel about what they learned about his powers in the end.
Catherine's powers on anyone else would have been boring and quite possibly cliche, but something about the combination of her personality and her [semi-spoiler] cat-like powers was really interesting.
The reason they had their powers shocked me a bit, but I'm kinda glad it was explained. I don't know why, but I feel like it could have been really annoying if it never said how or why they got their powers. I find this weird because I usually don't like origin stories that much.
To put it simply, this book was awesome. I really liked it, and hope there's a sequel (the end was practically screaming sequel).
I give Dull Boy four Fists of Rock.


Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

2 comments:

Zombie Girrrl said...

Great review! This book sounds pretty cool, sorta like that one that'll be released next year, something X, or X something. I can't remember the title, but you'd probably like it! =)
BTW, I love the cover for Dull Boy! Very cool.

katie said...

I think I will have to read this pretty soon. I got it from a trade a while ago but I just haven't read it. Great review!