Thursday, November 5, 2009

Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix

"Luke has never been to school. He's never had a birthday party, or gone to a friend's house for an overnight. In fact, Luke has never had a friend. Luke is one of the shadow children, a third child forbidden by the Population Police."

I didn't really expect to like this book as much as I did. The cover almost made me put it back on the shelf at the library, and the story only slightly interested me. But I actually really enjoyed Among the Hidden. It was a nice, quick read that I finished in one day. The story was much more interesting than I thought it would be.
I can't really decide if it started out slow or not. I mean, in the beginning there wasn't much going on, but there was always the danger of Luke being found to keep things interesting, even though nothing like that happened until near the end of the book.
I found Jen to be a bit annoying. She was too naive. What she wanted was great and everything, but the way she planned to get it was, quite frankly, stupid. She was a little too entitled for her own good.
Luke was an okay character, not very interesting, but not horribly boring either. I felt really bad for him. I couldn't imagine being in his situation, not being allowed out of the house for months, not even allowed to go near the windows. It sounded like torture! It's amazing he didn't go insane.
I found Luke's easy friendship with Jen to be a bit unbelievable. I mean, she was the first person outside of his family that he'd ever met. But I guess what they had in common made it easier for them to become such good friends in such a short amount of time.

SPOILERS!!!
I really didn't expect what happened to Jen. It reminded me of Bridge to Terabithia. I was very shocked.

This book really surprised me. I thought it would be kind of boring and slow, but it wasn't. I'll definitely be checking out the rest of the series.

I give Among the Hidden three Fists of Rock.



Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

1 comment:

~The Book Pixie said...

I loved this whole series in middle school and would love to get all the books so i can read them again.

~Briana