Saturday, October 10, 2009

Death Note vol. 1 by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata

"Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects - and he's bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and now Light has vowed to use the power of the Death Note to rid the world of evil. But when criminals begin dropping dead, the authorities send the legendary detective L to track down the killer. With L hot on his heels, will Light lose sight of his noble goal...or his life?



Light tests the boundaries of the Death Note's powers as L and the police begin to close in. Luckily Light's father is the head of the Japanese National Police Agency and leaves vital information about the case lying around the house. With access to his father's files, Light can keep one step ahead of the authorities. But who is the strange man following him, and how can Light guard against enemies whose names he doesn't know?"

I got hooked on Death Note after jumping in at the fifth episode a while ago. I had clearly missed something, and wasn't totally clear on what was going on, but that didn't matter. All I knew was, I needed more Death Note. So I ordered the first manga the first chance I got.
Light Yagami is totally crazy! Like, complete whackadoo. I love it! People with his level of insanity scare me, but they sure make good entertainment. By the third or fourth time he said "righteous judgement", all I was thinking was, Cuckoo-katchoo.
The shinigami Ryuk was interesting. Something about the way he interacted with Light was kinda funny. The shinigami realm was really cool looking, especially in the show (the first episode was On Demand, so I got to read and watch the beginning).
L is so cool! I don't know why, he just is. He's my favorite character in the series. I'm mostly judging him on the events of later episodes, because he wasn't in the first volume very much.
There isn't much action in Death Note, but it's still really exciting and interesting. I can't wait to read the rest of the series! I can't decide if I like the manga or the show more. They're both awesome (unlike this review. Reviewing a manga that's also a show is hard).

I give the first volume of Death Note five Fists of Rock.


Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

3 comments:

Orchid said...

I agree Death Note is awesome. Speaking of Death Note I still need to borrow the manga from you. :)

Taschima Cullen said...

Hey on that poll that you have of trick or treating, why isn't there an answer that says NEVER!?

Cause That is my answer ;)

Dahlia said...

Taschima: Hmm, somehow I just didn't think of that. x_o Maybe I'll remake the poll and add that. Thanks for the idea! ^_^