Friday, September 18, 2009

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

"Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.

Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty—especially if they learn of her Sight—and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.
Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.
Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.
Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.
But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost—regardless of her plans or desires.
Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.
Faerie intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning 21st century faery tale."

I had no intention of reading this book, because honestly, it didn't really appeal to me. But my friend got it from the library, and then another friend started reading it too, so I decided to give it a shot. And I gotta, say, I enjoyed it. It's not in my top ten, not even close really, but it was good. Of all the fantasy/supernatural (not really sure what faeries fall under) books I've read, this one probably fits in the least.
This might sound weird, but Biera was my favorite character. She's one of the best villains I've ever read about/seen on TV/in movies. She was just so... evil. Like, psychotic, whackadoo evil. She definitely was not a wimpy villain. She had no problem killing people (not to mention making them suffer in the process), everyone was disposable to her. It was scary and fascinating all at once.
Aislinn was an okay character, but I didn't really like her. I don't know why. It's not that she was super annoying or anything, she just wasn't that interesting.
All the major characters were pretty good, and Seth and Keenan had cool houses (train cars and loft filled with trees and birds, very awesome).
The book was actually kinda slow. I'm a big fan of action, and when a book lacks that, I have trouble getting through it. But I wanted to know what would happen, if Biera was going to kill any of them, if Aislinn would become a faerie, so I finished it in a few days. Despite the somewhat slow pace and general chickiness of the story, I plan on reading the next two books in the series.

Wicked Lovely gets three Fists of Rock.


Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

3 comments:

Orchid said...

Wicked Lovely was kind of slow, but it was still good. I'm just waiting for my library to get Fragile Eternity in so that I can finish the series. :)

Nadia Murti said...

This is going on my reading list.

natalierenae said...

This was about how I felt about Wicked Lovely. In my opinion, Ink Exchange is better, but Fragile Eternity is worse. Overall, the series isn't astounding, but it passed the time when I had nothing else to do. Thanks for the review!

Natalie @ Mindful Musings