Monday, August 3, 2009

Montage of Cake

As promised, here are the pictures of my birthday cake, as well as pics of my last two cakes (a.k.a. the best cakes I've ever made).
First, the cake from two years ago, the Barbie cake. This was the first elaborate cake I ever did, and I was rather pleased with how it turned out. The skirt was the hardest part by far. After laying down the fondant I had to spray the whole skirt, which took forever. Then came the frosting. Oh, the frosting. The music notes on the bottom were easy enough, but the designs around the middle ended up different sizes, and some were spaced wrong, and I got a hand cramp. In the end it was worth it. :)
Last year's cake will likely never be topped. The Appa cake, designed after my favorite flying bison form my all time favorite show, Avatar: the Last Airbender. It took around eight hours to make. Yes, I said 8 hours. It's four cakes tall, and each of those little stars had to be done by hand. Luckily, I had an assistant that helped with most of the carving and frosting (she also did the face, which I would have messed up had it been left in my hands). But I loved this cake! It turned out so well! It can also be seen on the Avatar fansite, Distant Horizon, under fan art.
This years cake was inspired by my favorite book (of the moment), The Hunger Games. Two cakes tall and determined to not work. The first time I stacked the cakes, the top one cracked all the way across. So, with help from my cake assistant, we took the cakes apart, leveled them out, and restacked them with the broken one on the bottom. After that, my assistant a.k.a head cake carver shaped it like I book while I watched and stressed over the size of the pages. It's hard to tell in the pic, but I used a basket-weave tip to make the pages look ridgy and... pagey. I put Effie Trinket's famous quote and my assistant put the little birdie from the cover. There's suppoed to be a ring of candles around it, but I forgot to take a picture once the candles were in and lit. T_T
I think it turned out really well. It's not as good as the Appa cake (will anythign ever be?), but I still like it. But it was very stressful to make. ;)
So, those are the cakes from my last three birthdays. I guess now would be as good a time as any to talk about what I got this year.
My parents gave me a purple Webbie HD camera!!! I squeeled and jumped when I opened it! I CAN VLOG NOW!!! WHOO-HOO!!!! I'm so excited for my first ever vlog!!! Here's what it looks like:
It's so tiny! I love it!
Well, I think that does it for this post. You've seen my overly elaborate cakes and my new camera. I'll post my first vlog soon (so excited!).
Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

9 comments:

Orchid said...

I don't think I have the patience too make something elaborate like the Appa cake. :)

Kate said...

Those cakes are so cute. And I love your camera. Good Luck vlogging!

Jessica Secret said...

OMG. These cakes are seriously amazing! The Hunger Games is one of my favorite books, so I love that one. And they other two are just great! I've got the least steady hand in the world, so those are just amazing to me. :)

shutupimreading.blogspot.com
Jessica

Zombie Girrrl said...

Appa is great! Very accurate! Happy Birthday, D!

Princess said...

Wow! You should consider opening an elaborate cake design shop when your older! I'd definatley hire you to make my cake one day! xD If you ever open that shop. xD

Dahlia said...

Hehe, thanks everyone! ^_^

brave chickens said...

Excuse me, but what are you doing blogging? open up your cake design business and bring in the moolah! Dude, you are one superly talented girl!

The Appa cake is my favourite XD

Nadia Murti said...

Nice camera!

Hey, were those Barbie's arms edible?

-Nadia

Laura said...

I would love, love, LOVE to know how you made the appa cake. I dont care if it takes me 24 hours!! LOL. My boyfriends little boy LOVES appa. All he wanted for Christmas was stuffed appa and his birthday is right after christmas and I search "appa cake" and came to your website. If you email me how you made it we would be forever grateful. My email is aroundtowndesign@gmail.com. Thank you!!