Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Finnish Line by Linda Gerber

"When Nordic ski jumper Maureen "Mo" Clark set foot in Finland, she breathed a sigh of relief. Finally, escape from her famous skier father's shadow and a chance to jump in the renowned Lahti Ski Games. But Mo quickly realizes that balancing practice and classes is more challenging than she expected. So when a gorgeous bad boy teammate offers coaching assistance-for a little publicity in return-how can she refuse? Surely she can work in a few extra practices somewhere between studying for calculus and sightseeing in Finland? Amid snowmobiling and dog-sledding, ice hotels and Northern lights, Mo begins to discover what strength and perseverance-the Finnish sisu-is all about. Now it's up to her to take that final jump and cross the finish line in style."
I got this book from the library to test out Linda Gerber's writing because I want her other book, Death by Bikini (which, sadly, my library doesn't have). Well, I succeeded in that mission and was satisfied with what I found. But I had to suffer through 205 pages of chick-lit to do it.
I'm not a big fan of chick-lit. The characters are always so frustrating because they're always making things harder for themselves by being ninnies! Mo wasn't so bad at first. She was determined to get out of her father's shadow, which I can respect but not relate to. But then a guy came in and she got all annoying. I was like, "Dude, stop being an idiot! Stop overthinking everything so much!" But I'm a big overthinker, so I really don't have a place to talk.
The story was okay. I didn't know anything about ski jumping before reading it. I had no idea women weren't allowed to jump in the Olympics. That's so annoying! A total injustice!
This book was good, but I probably won't read it again. I might read another in the series, but that's questionable. It had a good story and writing, the characters were okay, though highly frustrating. A nice light read.
The Finnish Line gets three Fists of Rock.
Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

2 comments:

brave chickens said...

I've read that Dahlia *points with amazement*! I agree, it was frsutrating, but a good way to pass time :)
The other books are worth checking out in the series.

Nadia Murti said...

I LOVE the S.A.S.S. series. Most of them are at least pretty good. One, however, "Heart And Salsa" is TERRIBLE. It's predictable, the woman writes like a 6th grader, the characters are annoying, and the plot is incredibly played-out. The rest are good, though.

-Nadia