Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Airborn by Kenneth Oppel

"Matt Cruse is a cabin boy on the Aurora, a huge airship that sails hundreds of feet above the ocean, ferrying wealthy passengers from city to city. It is the life Matt's always wanted; convinced he's lighter than air, he imagines himself as buoyant as the hydrium gas that powers the ship.

One night he meets a dying balloonist who speaks of beautiful creatures drifting through the skies. It is only after Matt meets the balloonist's granddaughter that he realizes that the man's ravings may, in fact, have been true, and that the creatures are completely real and utterly true.
In a swashbuckling adventure reminiscent of Jules Verne and Robert Louis Stevenson, Kenneth Oppel, author of the best-selling Silverwing trilogy, creats an imagined world in which the air is populated by trancontinental voyagers, pirates, and beings never before dreamed of by the humans who sail the skies."

The word "thrilling" comes to mind when thinking of this book. The action was satisfying and abundant. I loved the world that Oppel created. He did an excellent job of describing the Aurora, allowing you to get to know the ship almost as well as Matt Cruse. The whole thing was a bit reminiscent of Treasure Planet, but a million times better!
Matt and Kate were great characters. Kate was my favorite. I loved how she hated the way women were treated and didn't follow the rules. After reading this I finally realized why I always struggle through books based in the past; I can't stand how many things women weren't allowed to do back then! Or what they were expected to do-- knitting, sewing, and other boring things like that. It drives me insane and makes me want to kick guys. But none of that was a problem in Airborn, because even though everyone of authority tried to hold Kate back, they never managed to do it. Yay Kate!
Matt was also a good character. Since he narrated the book, it was easy to get to know him. He was pretty smart and very in touch with the airship. I found it a little strange how he treated the Aurora like a person, but it was also a little amusing. He definitely wasn't perfect, which I really liked, because reading about a perfect character who's plans always go right isn't fun.
This book is great, I was very happy to learn that there's a sequel, Skybreaker, as well as a third book called Starclimber. Almost definitely aimed at boys, but girls would enjoy it too (I know I did). I recommend it to anyone who likes action with a side of fantasy.

Airborn gets four Fists of Rock.
Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

1 comment:

Orchid said...

Sounds interesting, maybe I'll check it out next time I'm at the library. Nice review. :)