Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What's That Other Thing I'm Supposed to Blog About? Oh Yeah, Now I Remember!

I feel like I haven't done an actual post (i.e. not a review or video) in a long time. So, let's take a short break from reviews and talk about that other thing my blog is supposedly dedicated to: writing.

B9 has been temporarily put on hold so I can polish up one of the character's personalty (okay, "polish" might not be the word I'm looking for, "create" is probably more appropriate). I didn't think the character would play such a large role (stupid, really), so when it came time to write a scene with him, I realized I had made a big mistake and didn't know what he was supposed to be like AT ALL. Once I give him a personality, I'll have to rewrite the beginning of chapter two (aaaaagh, I've only written one chapter!), then I can move on with the story.

Actually, I've been considering putting B9 aside and either rewriting B1.1 or writing B1.2 (is it just me, or does talking about my books sound sound like bingo?). I just think that B1.1 could be... better. I liked it at first (then hated it, then liked it, then hated it...), but now that I've finished reading through it, I feel there's much room for improvement. But I guess I can't expect too much from my very first book. Maybe I'll just finish editing it, write the sequel, and try to get the first one published. If it needs rewriting, I'm sure my agent or editor or whoever will tell me. I don't take my opinion of my work very seriously because I'm very dramatic about it, so it could be fine.

I've recently started working on a new story for 13 & Co. It's steampunk, and involves airships, giant robotic dragons, pirates, and chemical warfare. If I can finish it, I think it's going to be really good. It was inspired by Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (my review for that should be up soon).

Speaking of reviews, I've been getting behind on them. I used to be able to publish my review of something as soon as I finished writing it. But at some point around my week long vacation, things got a little piled up. But I kinda like having a few reviews in my draft box, takes away the sense of urgency to write and publish a review right after I finish the book. :)

Well, I think that about does it for my weekly (or monthly) dose of rambling. I will close by saying that my birthday is next week (yay!), and after about a month of stressing over it, I've finally decided what to do with my cake. I'm not going to tell you what I'm doing yet, but I will post some pictures afterwards (I'm not sure I'll be able to top last year's cake, but I'll do my best).

Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

2 comments:

Orchid said...

I can't wait to read your steampunk story for 13 & Co (I'm also working on one).
By the way I thought B1.1 was really good. :)

Steph Bowe said...

Steampunk is really, really popular in books right now. Lots of publishing houses are acquiring steampunk novels...

Have you read Worldshaker by Richard Harland? Actually, I don't think it comes out in the US still next year, but it's really good, definitely your type of thing.