Monday, July 27, 2009

So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld

"We are all around you.

You don’t think about us much, because we are invisible. Well, not exactly invisible. A lot of us have hair dyed in four colors, or wear five-inch platform sneakers, or carry enough metal in our skin that it’s a hassle getting on an airplane. Quite visible, actually, come to think of it.
But we don’t wear signs saying what we are. After all, if you knew what we were up to, we couldn’t work our magic. We have to observe carefully, and push and prompt you in ways you don’t notice. Like good teachers, we let you think you’ve discovered the truth on your own.
And you need us. Someone has to guide you, to mold you, to make sure that today turns into yesterday on schedule. Because frankly, without us to monitor the situation, who knows what would get crammed down your throats?
It’s not like you can just start making your own decisions, after all.

Ever wonder who was the first kid to keep a wallet on a big chunky chain, or wear way-too-big-pants on purpose? What about the mythical first guy who wore his baseball cap backwards? These are the Innovators, the people at the peak of the cool pyramid.
Seventeen-year-old Hunter Braque is a Trend setter, on the second level of the pyramid. His job: find the newest, coolest thing for the retail market. His MO: observe, don’t get involved. But from the moment he meets Innovator Jen James, he can’t help getting involved in a big way.
Part love story, part mystery, part stinging satire, Scott Westerfeld’s spellbinding new novel will make you question everything you’ve ever believed about how to be cool."

So Yesterday was good, but not as good as Westerfeld's other books. It didn't pull me in right at the beginning like his other books did, but it picked up, though not as quickly as I would have liked. I had no idea how the book was going to end, it was just so different from Midnighters and Uglies. Come to think of it, I never know how his books will end (which is a good thing).
Hunter and Jen were interesting characters, I wouldn't mind reading about them again. Jen was probably my favorite. She was crazy, and hanging out with her seemed like fun because interesting things happened when she was around. Her shoelaces were awesome! I tried doing the Rising Sun Laces on my shoes, but my laces are a tad too thick and after the third or fourth loop, I couldn't get it through the center eyelet anymore. Though I'm pretty sure I know how to do them now, it took about two days, but I figured it out (now all I need are some skinnier laces so I can actually do it). :)
The "villain" was interesting, if not a little strange. They were evil, and yet not. And their leader was pretty cool. I wish I could go around on skates all the time, but I'm not too steady standing on wheels.
I liked the "cool pyramid", it was neat. I wish I were one of the super cool, Logo Exile Innovators at the top, but sadly I'm not (I'm not sure where I am on the pyramid, because I don't start trends or follow them).
This book was really funny, had good characters, excellent writing, and a nice plot.

So Yesterday gets four Fists of Rock.
Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

2 comments:

Orchid said...

I too think that hanging out with Jen would be tons of fun. I really liked this book; it was definitely different from his usual books.

Steph Bowe said...

LOVED this book.
I think Peeps is my fave out of all of Weserfeld's books, though.