Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Necropolis by Anthony Horowitz

"As the fourth novel in the spellbinding Gatekeepers series begins, the world is under the greatest threat it's ever known. The evil corporation Nightrise has amassed an immense amount of power . . . and the devastating force of the Old Ones is about to be unleashed around the globe. To stop this from happening, Matt and three of the Gatekeepers head to Hong Kong--not just the modern city of skyscrapers and wealth, but the secretive underworld beneath. In Hong Kong they will meet the final Gatekeeper, a girl named Scarlet, whose fate is inextricably joined to their own...."

The beginning of this book was a little slow in my opinion, because Scarlett was the major focus, but there were other characters, ones I had grown more attached to, that were in the story as well. I had the same problem with Nightrise, which was all about Scott and Jamie. For me, it's just kinda weird to be reading a book in a series you've read since the beginning without reading about the character you started out with. I mean, you want to know what's happening with the characters you know, but you have to read about someone else.
This book was frustrating at times. They would get so close to their goal, just to have it all taken away. And most of the time it was taken to the other side of the world. But it wouldn't have been nearly as interesting if things were so easy. Their struggles were a lot of what kept me reading (that and the general awesomeness of the book).
Scarlett was a great character. I believe this is the first time Horowitz has written a book about a girl, and he did great.
I am really glad they changed the cover. It used to be the one on the right, but it was changed to the top pic. Yay! I loved the original cover of Raven's Gate. The cover and title were what drew me to the book, but then they started putting people on the covers, and I was more than a little bummed. Anyway, I'm just glad they went back to the peopleless covers (though I'm a little mad that the British covers are now available in the US, even though they're only paperbacks and I have the whole series in hardback).
There were a few chapters written as journal entries from Matt. I really liked that. It was a great way of getting to know the character better, and I wish there had been a chapter or two like that for everyone else.
The last chapter was EPIC!!! It says a lot about a book when your heart is pounding like you just ran a marathon, I mean, it is just words on paper. But that was one of the most exciting and stressful arrangements of words on paper I've ever read! The ending was sooo good and unbelievable that I actually had to sit for a few minutes to let it all sink in when I'd finished.
This book had it all: magic, battles, death, zombies (yes, I said zombies), loads of evil, betrayal, jet lag (not that exciting, but there was a lot of it), [spoiler] triads working for the greater good, and lots of other stuff. It was awesome! I think Necropolis is my second favorite in this series, after Raven's Gate.

This book was Too Much Rock for One Hand!
Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

3 comments:

Dame Orchid said...

I know the ending of this book was a shocker, but I loved it.

brave chickens said...

Grrrr! I want to know what happens at the end! When I'd finished, I was like "OMG, will they all meet up again?!"

I agree about reading from about another character's view. Matt was the one who stated it all, innit?

Steph Bowe said...

Too Much Rock For One Hand!

I am laughing really hard at that.