Sunday, July 5, 2009

In My Mailbox 7

In My Mailbox was started by The Story Siren and inspired by Alea of Pop Culture Junkie. None of these books were or ever will be in my mailbox, but whatever.

From the Library
Airborn by Kenneth Oppel
Pub. date: May 04
"Matt Cruse is a cabin boy on the Aurora, a huge airship that sails hundreds of feet above the ocean, ferrying wealthy passengers from city to city. It is the life Matt's always wanted; convinced he's lighter than air, he imagines himself as buoyant as the hydrium gas that powers the ship.
One night he meets a dying balloonist who speaks of beautiful creatures drifting through the skies. It is only after Matt meets the balloonist's granddaughter that he realizes that the man's ravings may, in fact, have been true, and that the creatures are completely real and utterly true.
In a swashbuckling adventure reminiscent of Jules Verne and Robert Louis Stevenson, Kenneth Oppel, author of the best-selling Silverwing trilogy, creats an imagined world in which the air is populated by trancontinental voyagers, pirates, and beings never before dreamed of by the humans who sail the skies."
This sounds a bit steampunky, which I'm really into right now, so I decided to get it even though I've never read anything by the author or even heard of the book before.

The Finnish Line by Linda Gerber
Pub. date: October 07
"When Nordic ski jumper Maureen "Mo" Clark set foot in Finland, she breathed a sigh of relief. Finally, escape from her famous skier father's shadow and a chance to jump in the renowned Lahti Ski Games. But Mo quickly realizes that balancing practice and classes is more challenging than she expected. So when a gorgeous bad boy teammate offers coaching assistance-for a little publicity in return-how can she refuse? Surely she can work in a few extra practices somewhere between studying for calculus and sightseeing in Finland? Amid snowmobiling and dog-sledding, ice hotels and Northern lights, Mo begins to discover what strength and perseverance-the Finnish sisu-is all about. Now it's up to her to take that final jump and cross the finish line in style."
My library has a ton of these books, and I've toyed with getting one for a while. I want Linda Gerber's book Death by Bikini and thought it would be a good idea to test out her writing first (my library doesn't have the Death by series).

From Friends
So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld (from Orchid)
Pub. date: September 05
"We are all around you.

You don’t think about us much, because we are invisible. Well, not exactly invisible. A lot of us have hair dyed in four colors, or wear five-inch platform sneakers, or carry enough metal in our skin that it’s a hassle getting on an airplane. Quite visible, actually, come to think of it.
But we don’t wear signs saying what we are. After all, if you knew what we were up to, we couldn’t work our magic. We have to observe carefully, and push and prompt you in ways you don’t notice. Like good teachers, we let you think you’ve discovered the truth on your own.
And you need us. Someone has to guide you, to mold you, to make sure that today turns into yesterday on schedule. Because frankly, without us to monitor the situation, who knows what would get crammed down your throats?
It’s not like you can just start making your own decisions, after all.


Ever wonder who was the first kid to keep a wallet on a big chunky chain, or wear way-too-big-pants on purpose? What about the mythical first guy who wore his baseball cap backwards? These are the Innovators, the people at the peak of the cool pyramid.
Seventeen-year-old Hunter Braque is a Trend setter, on the second level of the pyramid. His job: find the newest, coolest thing for the retail market. His MO: observe, don’t get involved. But from the moment he meets Innovator Jen James, he can’t help getting involved in a big way.
Part love story, part mystery, part stinging satire, Scott Westerfeld’s spellbinding new novel will make you question everything you’ve ever believed about how to be cool."
I love Scott Westerfeld's books! I've already finished this, but my review probably won't be up for a few weeks since I still have to post my reviews for a bunch of other books.

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, read by Ari Graynor (from 21)
Pub. date: April 07
"When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .
Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end."
21 got this from the library because they didn't have the actual book. I think I'm only on disk 4 of 12. I've been wanting to read this since Scott Westerfeld said he was doing a signing with Cassandra Clare a while ago, but never got around to buying it.

That's what I got, what about you?

Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

9 comments:

Taschima Cullen said...

I gots nothing. YET O.o

Dame Orchid said...

I've never heard of Airborn, but I think I have read at least one of the S.A.S.S books.

Jessica said...

I remember getting "So Yesterday" from the high school library a few years ago. I don't remember if I liked it or not though :P

Scarlett said...

Cool books you got. Ive never read a scott westerfeld book before but its been mentioned to me a few times.

Cat said...

Heehee. I giggle because the newsletter I get for my Finnish Lapphund club is called The Finnish Line. So I think something completely different when I see that book - only I don't think your book has anything to do with dogs. ;) It looks cool though!

Rebecca said...

Great books, Scott Westerfeld is one of my favourite authors but I haven't read So Yesterday yet. Enjoy.

Lizzy said...

Great haul this week, Happy reading! Also, I really liked So Yesterday, it was the first book I read by Scott Westerfeld.

Callie said...

I love City of Bones! So Yesterday looks soo good and I've heard good things about it. Enjoy!

prophecygirl said...

Ooh City of Bones. Nice. Bet it's great on audio!