Monday, June 15, 2009

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

"Melinda Sordino busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops. Now her old friends won't talk to her, and people she doesn't even know hate her from a distance. The safest place to be is alone, inside her own head. But even that's not safe. Because there's something she's trying not to think about, something about the night of the party that, if she let it in, would blow her carefully constructed disguise to smithereens. And then she would have to speak the truth. This extraordinary first novel has captured the imaginations of teenagers and adults across the country."

I don't really know what to say about this book. I guess I'll just say, I felt sooo bad for Melinda! I can't believe everyone stopped talking to her just because she broke up a stupid party. I wanted to give her a hug because what happened to her was terrible, but at the same time I kinda wanted to hit her for keeping it a secret.
I really didn't like her "friend" Rachel (or should I say Rachelle? *rolls-eyes*). And I mean, really didn't like her. I wanted to punch Rachel when Melinda told her what happened and she accused her of lying and took the guy's side. Actually, I probably would have punched her a few times if I could. I also didn't really like Heather. She ditched Melinda for a stupid, boring clique and then expected Melinda to help her with stuff for that stupid, boring clique. It was so annoying!
Anyway, this book was good. Sad, and many of the characters were frustrating (some made me think violence was the answer), but it was good. My review was kind of lame, so I'll refer you to 21's review on Crackin' Spines and Taken' Names.

I give this book three Fists of Rock (though, I don't think I'll be reading it again).

Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

2 comments:

21 said...

I just sorta blew off Heather as a flakey bad friend. Rachel/Rachelle, though... I don't know. I guess it's hard to believe something like that, even if it's coming from your (former) BFF. I really admire Melinda for coming forward in the end, and I really wanted to hug her, too.

Dame Orchid said...

For the life of me I can't recall if I've ever read Speak. Maybe I have at one point, but I don't know.