Wednesday, June 10, 2009

In My Mailbox 5

In My Mailbox was started by The Story Siren and inspired by Alea of Pop Culture Junkie. None of these books were or ever will be in my mailbox, but whatever.

Bought:
Dead Is the New Black by Marlene Perez
Pub. date: September 08
"Fashion statement...or something freakier?

The first installment of this creepy, campy paperback original series introduces the psychic Giordano sisters—and their very strange hometown, Nightshade, California.
Teenage girls are being mysteriously attacked all over town, including at Nightshade High School, where Daisy Giordano is a junior. When Daisy discovers that a vampire may be the culprit, she can’t help but suspect head cheerlead Samantha Devereaux, who returned from summer break with a new “look.” Samantha looks a little...well, dead, and all the popular kids at school are copying her style. Is looking dead just another fashion trend for pretty popular Samantha, or is there something more sinister going on? To find out, Daisy joins the cheerleading squad....
Dead is the New Black is a fast-paced mystery that combines romance, humor, sibling rivalry, and lots of attitude."
Okay, I actually got this last week (or was it the week before), and I've already finished it. But since I didn't do an IMM post when I got it, I decided I might as well put it into this one. My review should be up soon, but I'll just say now that it was really, really good!

Dead Is a State of Mind by Marlene Perez
Pub. date: January 09
"Welcome to Nightshade, California—a small town full of secrets. It’s home to the psychic Giordano sisters, who have a way of getting mixed up in mysteries. During their investigations, they run across everything from pom-pom- shaking vampires to shape-shifting boyfriends to a clue-spewing jukebox. With their psychic powers and some sisterly support, they can crack any case! There’s a gorgeous new guy at Nightshade High: Duke Sherrad, a fortune-teller claiming to have descended from Gypsies. Even though she’s psychic herself, Daisy is skeptical of Duke’s powers. But when a teacher who was the subject of one of his predictions ends up dead, she begins to wonder if Duke is the real deal after all. Maybe if Daisy can track down the teacher’s killer, she can find out the truth. The only trouble is, all signs point to the murderer being of the furry persuasion. Is Daisy any match for a werewolf? Maybe she is . . . in more ways than she bargained for!"
I read two chapters on the way home on Monday, and finished the rest yesterday. The review will be up as soon as I post my reviews of DITNB and Speak (I still have to write my review for this one).

I also borrowed Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson from 21 last week. I'll post my review soon.

I'm hoping to get to the library soon (like today or tomorrow), so I'll either update this post with what I get (if I find anything) or I'll write a part two. The YA selection is very lacking, and finding anything worth reading that I haven't already checked out is practically impossible, so wish me luck! :)

EDIT (6/13): Okay, I didn't find anything at the library, but I did buy another book. Yay!

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Pub. date: October 08
"Sixteen-year-old Katniss is smart, athletic, and fast. She can take down a rabbit with a bow and arrow, hitting it straight through the eye. Will these skills be enough to survive the Hunger Games?

Suzanne Collins, the author of the middle-grade fantasy series The Underland Chronicles begins anew, exploring a future landscape that will be familiar to devotees of science fiction's dystopic strain. In a nation called Panem, which occupies the landmass that is the present United States, a parasitical fascist Capitol dominates 12 conquered districts. There was a thirteenth district but it was obliterated during a rebellion. The totalitarian government keeps the subjected populations in line by threatened devastation, starvation, and brutality."

Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

14 comments:

21 said...

Is it really like Buffy meets Vironica Mars?

Dahlia said...

Can't you wait until my review?

Dame Orchid said...

Can I borrow Dead is the New Black??? Please.

Cat said...

I like the concept of dead being a state of mind. Heheh.

I think I am going to have to check out The Hunger Games since every one seems to have been reading it and loving it. Hmm.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I've read Dead is the New Black but I really want to get the two sequels. I liked the first one. And I NEED The Hunger Games. I'm behind on that one. LOL

-Lauren

Lizzy said...

The Hunger Games was an awesome book, I loved it (even though the cover never impressed me).

ZAC said...

hey, stumbling on on your blog. is your novel YA? my agent (a junior agent building her list) is looking for YA and contemporary adult and women's fiction. let me know if you're interested.

Callie said...

I want to read all these books. Happy reading!

Library Lounge Lizard said...

I just bought Dead is the New Black and all the other books for the library but haven't read them yet. They look great though!

The Story Siren said...

great book week! love the dead books covers! i need to read hunger games! happy reading!

B.A.M. Book Reviews said...

The Hunger Games is AMAZINGGGG. I just finished it! I hope you like it as much as I do!

Rebecca said...

Great books you got this week, I got Dead is a State of Mind too. Hope you enjoy your books.

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

The Hunger Games is incredible. I hope you enjoy it!

prophecygirl said...

The Hunger Games is so amazing. I look forward to your review!