Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Dead Is a State of Mind by Marlene Perez

"Welcome to Nightshade, California—a small town full of secrets. It’s home to the psychic Giordano sisters, who have a way of getting mixed up in mysteries. During their investigations, they run across everything from pom-pom- shaking vampires to shape-shifting boyfriends to a clue-spewing jukebox. With their psychic powers and some sisterly support, they can crack any case! There’s a gorgeous new guy at Nightshade High: Duke Sherrad, a fortune-teller claiming to have descended from Gypsies. Even though she’s psychic herself, Daisy is skeptical of Duke’s powers. But when a teacher who was the subject of one of his predictions ends up dead, she begins to wonder if Duke is the real deal after all. Maybe if Daisy can track down the teacher’s killer, she can find out the truth. The only trouble is, all signs point to the murderer being of the furry persuasion. Is Daisy any match for a werewolf? Maybe she is . . . in more ways than she bargained for!"
I loved this book! It was a great followup to Dead Is the New Black. I read two chapters the day I bought it (in the car, so I got a headache :P), and read the rest in one sitting the next day. Definitely an addictive book.
I have to admit, that while this book was really awesome-- even worthy of rereading-- it was a little predictable at times. I figured out the Ryan thing shortly after it was mentioned, and was frustrated that Daisy didn't see what was going on. It was so obvious! But Daisy is the jealous type and is quick to accuse Ryan of cheating, so it never crossed her mind (until waaay later). It was a little annoying, but her worrying was kinda funny and amusing.
SPOILERS!!!
.
.
.
.
.
I didn't trust Duke from the moment he was introduced (which was on the first page). Never trust the handsome foreigner with the unplacable accent that immedietely takes an interest in the leading female character. I totally saw through his cheesy, overly complimentary disguise.
.
.
.
.
.
I felt bad for Poppy. What happened to her was kinda sad.
What I liked more about this one was that all the supernatural stuff played a bigger role. There were a bunch of shapeshifters, Daisy's powers were better, and everything was just explained a little more.
Anyway, this book was awesome, and I really can't wait to read Dead Is So Last Year.
I give DIASOM five Fists of Rock.
Eclecticallt yours,
Dahlia

4 comments:

Jessica Secret said...

Hey, I nominated you for an award on my blog!

shutupimreading.blogspot.com
Jessica

Meggin said...

Sounds good... campy but good :) I want to get an ARC of her new book, The Comeback, soo bad... still waiting for reply from publisher :(

P.S. I love your fists of rock thing :)

Taschima Cullen said...

AHHHHHHHH SPOILERS! CANT LOOK!!!!!!!

Marie said...

I can't look! I haven't read the series yet! (>_<)